From online bank heists to Chinese hackers, 2013 is adding up to be a security mess
From Amazon to Dropbox and Microsoft to Google, we've seen some nasty Cloud outages in the first half of the year. Which company failed the worst?
What are the essential ingredients for making a security awareness program successful? Check out these 9 tips from CSO contributors on how to make awareness work in your organization.
A DIY guide to securing Android-based devices
It's unlike any conference badge you've seen before. Sleek, stylish, programmable, and made out of metal. It's the Defcon 18 conference badge. Unveiled at the annual hacker conference in Las Vegas, here's a first look at this year's badge.
Alleged Russian spies arrested last month in cities around the United States seemed to be lacking in spycraft and in urgent need of some IT expertise, based on some of the gaffes they made. They also used some technologies effectively. Here is a summary of their efforts as revealed in court filings against them.
Twelve leading NAC products put to the test
Researchers at the University of Washington and the University of California, San Diego, have taken a close look at the computer systems used to run today's cars and discovered new ways to hack into them, sometimes with frightening results. In a paper set to be presented at a security conference in Oakland, California, next week, the researchers say that by connecting to a standard diagnostic computer port included in late-model cars, they were able to do some nasty things, such as turning off the brakes, changing the speedometer reading, blasting hot air or music on the radio, and locking passengers in the car. For much of their testing, they simply put the test-car on blocks, pictured here.
These "White Hat" security researchers are ethical hackers whose discoveries and inventions shake things up — as they try to stay one step ahead of their underground "Black Hat" cousins…
In the latest protest over Chinese censorship of the Internet, Google is redirecting search requests from within mainland China to its uncensored servers in Hong Kong. This directly defies rules China set up to let Google operate there, but now China itself seems to be censoring the results. Reports say requests for terms such as Falun Gong and June 4 (the date of the Tiananmen Square massacre) return browser messages that requested pages cannot be displayed. Despite the government crackdown there are ways to get around the Great Firewall, and here is a rundown of a few of them.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- That moment when you realize you're exchanging emails with a robot
- Google's Inbox uses machine learning to speed up email replies
- Google's Gmail finally adds the ability to block email, but there's a better way
- New Cryptolocker variant discovered targeting Australians
- Twitter gobbles up more cookies with retargeted ads, says users have privacy choices
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCChange Manager - SAP FinanceNSW
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCOperations Systems Support ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- FTMid-Level Full-Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCProject managerACT
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC