Samsung Electronics has begun shipping its first hybrid hard-disk drives that mix conventional magnetic storage with flash memory, it said Wednesday.
Servers & Storage
The world is running out of storage space for the data it has to hold according to a new report from IDC.
Despite the fact that the first public beta of Microsoft's new Windows Server Virtualization technology is not due out until mid-year, corporate users can get a glimpse of things to come via an online demo.
Customers are replacing disk drives at rates far higher than those suggested by the estimated mean time between failure (MTBF) supplied by drive vendors, according to a study of about 100,000 drives conducted by Carnegie Mellon University.
Hitachi Data Systems and Sun have entered into an agreement for Sun to resell Hitachi's high-end storage array and virtualization platform, according to sources close to the agreement.
It may be too early to talk plug-and-play but IBM believes it can help businesses of all sizes easily cluster their servers to handle intensive computing workloads.
A Japanese university announced scientists there have developed a new technology that uses bacteria DNA as a medium for storing data long-term, even for thousands of years.
Temperatures exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit may not be damaging to disk drives, according to new research by Google engineers which casts doubt on previous findings linking heat to elevated failure rates.
HP has begun shipping a new product that the company thinks will give it an edge over rival, IBM, in the market for blade servers.
HP has launched a low-priced, disk-based backup and recovery system as it battles with Dell for small business users who need to back up their data.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- Are you ready for the enterprise wearables boom?
- IBM makes quantum computing available in the cloud
- What Apple's first down quarter in 13 years really means
- A new AMD licensing deal could create more x86 rivals for Intel
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCData Warehouse Specialist- Power BI, SSAS DBA, Azure, SQLNSW
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk SupportNSW
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Monitoring Specialist - Foglight focusNSW
- CCTechnology DeveloperVIC
- CCScrum Master with Java development backgroundACT
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160617/AP/623Asia
- CCTechnical Writer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerAsia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL/Oracle) 160630/SA/254Asia
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- CCPMO AnalystVIC