Windows Update, a utility that connects to a database of the latest device drivers on Microsoft's Web site, can simplify driver updates, provided you use Windows 98.
PC World Business
You can turn any .bmp file into an icon simply by changing its extension to .ico. Click the bitmap file you want to change, select File-Rename, and then replace the .bmp extension with .ico. Press <Enter>, and Windows will immediately replace the app...
Windows screens get cluttered fast, especially if you're working on an older machine or laptop system that forces you to work in 640 x 480 resolution. Here are some coping strategies.
The McAfee Office suite is a tempting buy. For less than $200 you get a grab bag of ten separate, free-standing utilities -- including VirusScan, Nuts & Bolts 98, and Guard Dog -- that would cost hundreds of dollars if purchased separately. However, ...
Wallpaper graphics are a great way to customise your desktop. Unfortunately, Windows drops wallpaper files into the Windows folder, amid the million other files located there. In IE 4 and Windows 98, Microsoft has added a folder just for wallpaper fi...
In a rush to get PhotoShop 5.0 out the door last year, it seems Adobe shipped it with a surprise -- lots of bugs. Adobe has since released a patch aimed at fixing many of the problems. The software fix will "upgrade" PhotoShop to 5.0.2 by making chan...
Diskettes are almost universally reviled for being too slow and too small, yet almost everyone depends on them for backing up individual files and sharing data among computers. But formatting them is a chore. You have to open Explorer, then navigate ...
Wanting to buy a house, but don't have the time to check out every renovator's delight? We've discovered two useful Australian property Web sites that you may want to check out.
If you regularly take work home, you will know how difficult it is to keep all your files in sync. If there are only a couple of files involved, you can keep tabs on them by checking their date stamps in Windows Explorer. But if you have numerous fil...
For a Unix aficionado, a Linux installation is a walk in the park. For a life-long Windows user, it's a bungee jump into the unknown. Neale Morison describes his first encounter with today's hottest alternative operating system.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple to replace defective USB-C cables that shipped with some 12-inch MacBooks
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Chromebooks are siphoning market share from Windows PCs
- Microsoft beefs up its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCProduct Solution DesignerVIC
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCMiddleware Developer - BaselineACT
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCCobol ProgrammerACT
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- CCSolution Analyst - CloudVIC
- CCSenior Project Delivery ManagerACT
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCProject/ Program AnalystVIC
- FTContract System SpecialistAsia
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerAsia
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - ApplicationsNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC