Trend Micro - one of the most respected companies in security software - offers HouseCall, a free web-based utility that scans for and cleans your computer of all currently documented viruses, Trojans and other malware.
Security - Reviews
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free adds a useful extra layer of protection to your PC, at no extra cost.
The iStorage diskGenie is a USB hard drive offering up to 500GB of storage. It features secure AES-256 encryption and is unlocked by a number keypad.
Kaspersky is expanding its scope by offering Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac, its first security program for the Apple Mac. But how much does the Mac need anti-virus, and does it work?
The Netgear ProSecure STM600 security appliance takes on small-to-midsize business stalwarts such as Fortinet and Barracuda by including antispam, antimalware, and web content filtering in a single unit that offers easy deployment and budget-preservi...
Kingston announced a new DataTraveler Locker USB Flash Drive that offered partitioning capability.
Seagate calls its BlackArmor WS 110 a direct-attached storage (DAS) device, but in most respects it's a fairly standard external hard drive. Aimed at businesses looking to back up individual computers, the BlackArmor WS 110 provides AES 256-bit hardw...
Though Alwil Avast Professional Edition ($63.97 for a one-year, single-PC licence) has a speedy scan rate, that wasn't enough to offset its unimpressive protection from malware infections and its truly annoying interface. (A new version is coming ear...
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 has some nice, techie-focused extras and it effectively ferrets out rootkits, but it can't keep up with other antivirus apps when it comes to the essential task of blocking malware.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is good looking software weighed down by comparatively poor malware detection, slow scan speed, and a seriously misguided habit of hiding what it does from the user.
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 ($69.95 for a one-year, three-PC licence) offers strong traditional malware detection, but is dragged down by negatives like poor behavioural scans.
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 (SDAV) blends PC Tools' previous well-known anti-spyware tool PC Tools Spyware Doctor with the anti-virus capabilities of a PC Tools AntiVirus engine.
BitDefender Antivirus ($44.92 for a one-year, three-PC licence) holds its own at dealing with malware, but its interface isn't especially user-friendly. Overall the program earned fourth place in our roundup of stand-alone antivirus programs.
Avira's AntiVir Premium Edition lacks an advanced malware detection feature used by top programs, and it could use a smoother interface. The program earned a seventh-place ranking in our current stand-alone antivirus roundup.
Kaspersky's pairs competent proactive protection with below-average signature detection, and a strong feature set with an at-times annoying user experience.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Britain's wartime codebreaking base could host a national cyber security college
- How to find saved Wi-Fi passwords on your Windows 10 PC
- Kaspersky Labs says Microsoft is anticompetitive towards third-party antivirus
- Password manager LastPass now works on all your devices for free
- Hacking forum cuts section allegedly linked to DDoS attacks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProject Management - Infrastructure projectsACT
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTDesktop Support Team LeaderVIC
- CCAPI DeveloperSA
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- CCERP LeadWA
- CCSolution Designer and DeveloperNSW
- FTMotor Claims ConsultantNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCTechnical Consultant Applications & ServersACT
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)NSW
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperOther
- CCTechnical Security LeadNSW
- CCDeployment Project EngineerNSW
- CCSAP CRM Technical LeadACT
- FTTelecom Riggers and TechniciansNSW
- FTJunior / Trainee Storage AdministratorNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- TPAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect with end user (EUC) computing experienceNSW
- FTIdentity Management Team LeaderQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW