Microsoft's interpretation of the "Close" button in a notification of an impending Windows 10 upgrade is contrary to its own design guidelines.
Cyber criminals are stealing user's login credentials for popular online streaming service, Netflix, in an attempt to steal banking information, according to recent research by Symantec.
Trend Micro's Titanium Maximum Security can help you keep your entire digital life safe from harmful viruses and privacy threats.
Trend Micro's Titanium Maximum Security 2013 is an all-encompassing security suite for PCs and Android devices. It can protect against viruses, spyware and other Web threats, in addition to providing a few extra features such as parental controls, cloud storage and password management. It builds on the 2012 version by incorporating social networking protection, data theft prevention and Facebook profile privacy checking.
If you use your mobile device to browse many Web sites that require a username and password, keeping track of all those credentials, as well as entering them each time you want to use them, can be a pian. Letting the Web browser remember the details for them can be a security risk, too. Trend Micro's DirectPass app aims to be a central and secure repository for all those credentials, so you won't have to keep entering them each time you visit those sites
An all-around solid defender and efficient performer, Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2012 (AU$89 for one year and three PCs as of 7 May, 2012) has a slick, user-friendly interface and solid malware detection and removal capabilities.
As well as the anti-virus, identity protection, parental control and firewall modules in Norton Internet Security 2012, Norton 360 v6 includes PC tuning and online backup.
Bitdefender is a Romanian company which has been making Windows anti-virus software since 2001. After an over-zealous makeover last year, the company now claims it has 'the sharp mind of the wolf and the sleekness of the dragon, the vigilance of the alpha-male and the indestructibility of the snake's body'. It writes software.
Installing and using a security suite on a desktop PC or laptop (in fact, especially a laptop) can be a frustrating experience. Pop-ups, incessant messages to update and upgrade, not to mention performance hits, are often traits of these programs. Trend Micro's Titanium Maximum Security 2012 aims to be more user-friendly on all those fronts and it's mostly successful.
As threats to mobile devices sharply increase, a good security app can make a huge difference. McAfee Mobile Security, the mobile version of McAfee's desktop software, can help protect your phone or tablet from mobile malware, phishing, and device theft. McAfee provides a free seven-day trial, but requires a $30 yearly subscription if you decide to keep using the service once thereafter.
Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 comes in third in our 2012 roundup of security suites. But although it earned the bronze overall, it captured the highest rating in our malware detection, blocking, and removal tests. Those fantastic results, combined with the software's excellent interface, make it a great choice.
Trend Micro's Mobile Security Personal Edition app is worth considering if you want some peace of mind when it comes to security concerns with your smartphone. It features a real-time app scanner and Web site filtering that can detect malware, and it's also able to block nuisance calls and unwanted text messages. Most importantly though, it can be used to track, lock or even wipe a lost phone.
The word "essential" denotes something of absolute necessity—something that you can't get by without. But Webroot Internet Security Essentials 2011 ($89.95 for one year, three PCs, as of 12/2/2010) is sadly a bit of a misnomer: Its antimalware performance proved it was simply not up to the task of securing a modern PC. If you want "essential" protection, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Rootkits, a type of stealth technology used by malware malefactors, attempt to hide in the dark corners of an infected PC and evade detection. A new post out today from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center shines the spotlight on the evil tools.
Kaspersky Lab has announced the launch of Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 during a Press briefing held on Thursday. According to a press release, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 is a new generation product designed to protect home users from security threats.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
- Cyber criminals hack Netflix: Symantec
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2012
- McAfee Mobile Security software
- Kaspersky Launches Latest Internet Security Suite
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCRelease Manager, SAPNSW
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTData & Analytics Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT
- FTDelivery Lead- AWSNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- CCIT Support Analyst// Service Desk Support/ Level 1 SupportNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCOracle Application Administrator - July startACT
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCOracle Applications Team LeadNSW
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCQA OfficerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW