For years, using voice recognition technology on phones or other devices has been a novelty -- something people try once but never again, usually because it works so poorly. But recent developments, including harnessing the computational power of the...
Servers & Storage
Microsoft has been paying more attention lately to the small business audience, as well as the cloud. With the "Aurora" Small Business Server (SBS)--officially named Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, Microsoft delivers a solution that brings the...
Market research firm IDC makes a number of tech-related predictions near the end of every calendar year, but its prognostications for 2011 may well be among the company's most dramatic yet.
The ioSafe Solo Pro is an ultra-rugged external hard drive that offers serious disaster protection from fires and flooding. Equipped with DataCast fire safe insulation, it is guaranteed to protect your data in the event of a house fire. This week, we...
Attention all Back To The Future fans: If you're in the market for a new hard drive, then the folks over at Flash Rods have something just for you. Flash Rods latest, known as the Delorean Time Machine Hard Drive, contains a 500GB Seagate drive withi...
Kinect hacking is taking off at blinding speed. Microsoft's Kinect motion controller for XBox 360 is less than a month old, and it's been barely two weeks since Adafruit announced a winner in their Open Kinect competition. Since then, Microsoft has t...
Last night, nefarious members of Australia's technology press converged at the CBD Bar, Sydney, for a Halloween Party thrown by PR firm Max Australia, whose clients include NetApp, Fuji-Xerox, Belkin and Symantec.
Virtualizing x86 infrastructure isn't just a one-step process -- as servers change, the whole data center must change as well. While server hypervisors such as VMware's ESX, Microsoft's Hyper-V and Xen can make IT more efficient and cost-effective, m...
IBM recently launched its Portable Modular Data Centre solution in Australia. The unit is basically a self-contained datacentre located in a mobile shipping container. Prices range from US$700,000 to US$3 million, with site preparation and installati...
If you thought USB drives were only for attaching to desktop or laptop computers, think again. Various manufacturers provide ways to connect such drives to your network, so you can retrieve files stored on them from across your network, or even via t...
Either because server disks are full or because virtualization is a natural growth path, organizations large and small are moving toward shared storage. For large enterprises, high-capacity storage-area networks make sense, but what about small or mi...
IBM's new mainframe is on display at this week's SHARE conference in Boston, a testament to the relevancy of the big iron in today's enterprise IT environments. Amid the excitement over IBM's mainframe makeover, however, IT pros are concerned about t...
Kristine Harper and her father, Tom, both work on mainframe computers. BOSTON - Kristine Harper was about 12-years-old when her father took her to his office to take part of a "take your daughter to work day." Tom Harper said his daughter was less t...
Near the turn of the century, data centers were only beginning to implement Fibre Channel storage-area networks (SAN), with most relying on direct-attached storage (DAS). Data utilization rates were abysmal, with data centers on average using just 25...
Sling Media's small Slingbox 700U won one of three Best in Show awards given by the Industrial Designers Society of America (ISDA).
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Hitachi Data Systems introduces HFS A series family
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- WD ships world's first 10TB helium-filled hard drive
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar adds 128GB 2000x SDXC UHS-II card to Professional range
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTManager, Portfolio GovernanceNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTFraud AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- CCIT Solutions DesignerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - Audio VisualSA
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCCisco Program Manager - Data Centre/Security ImplementationNSW
- CCSAP DS and BI SpecialistVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Research Data ProjectNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia