A YouTube video succinctly titled "HP Computers Are Racist" received wide exposure earlier this week; Apparently, HP's Media Smart webcam's Face Tracking software has trouble tracking people with darker complexions.
Servers & Storage
A roundup of some great storage stocking stuffers
Need last minute gift ideas? Check out this week's tech bargains!
Down a road that winds through the rolling hills of western Pennsylvania, just across from a cow pasture, the bucolic scenery of Butler County is interrupted by a high chain-link fence topped with razor wire.
Seagate jumped into the SSD (solid state drive) market today with the unveiling of its Pulsar drives. SSD drives have been a growing segment, but Seagate adds significant credibility and opens up new possibilities for the nascent technology.
In "Applications on a Flash Drive," I mentioned that I keep a flash drive with portable diagnostic tools I use for fixing friends' and relatives' PCs. Andy Ludlum asked what programs I keep on that flash drive.
Solid-state drives recently hit the 1-terabyte mark with the release of the US$3,300 OCZ Colossus 1TB SSD. Obviously, drives at this price point are not aimed at masses. Yet, from a historical perspective the Colossus is remarkably cheap. It's easy t...
Big savings on Dell Wasabi printer, Logitech Squeezebox Boom wireless music system, plus lots more!
The holiday season is upon us, and now more than ever that means shopping on the Internet.
Georgia Tech researchers building an experimental new supercomputer say graphics processors may help pave the way toward future exascale machines, which would be 1,000 times faster than today's most powerful supercomputers.
The more digital content that we create (music, photos, movies, etc.) and the more we want to share it with others, the more likely it is we'll need some place to store it. You might be looking at digital cameras or music players on your holiday list...
For a while there it looked like 2009 would be remembered as the Year of the Dead Celebrity. But Michael, Farrah, Walter, Ed, and all the rest may have to move over. This is rapidly becoming the Year the Data Died.
While solid state drives offer increased performance, the key to figuring out the role they can play in the data center is balancing that performance against cost.
Though flash storage could be the most powerful tool yet for IT administrators who want to speed up access to frequently used data, reaping its benefits may require automation software that has just begun to emerge from the major storage vendors.
Pick up some great gear, including a 50in plasma TV, a Samsung mobile and a JVC camcorder
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Integration Solution ManagementVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCApplication Packaging ExpertVIC
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Marketing SystemsNSW
- FTGraduate IT Support OfficerNSW
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- CCProject Specialist Continuity AutomationVIC
- CCRevalidations OfficerACT
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW