Passport is the apt name chosen by Western Digital for its range of portable storage devices, not much bigger than the 2.5in notebook drives they contain.
Servers & Storage
The two major internal hard drive manufacturers -- Western Digital and Seagate -- have traditionally been coy when it comes to solid-state drives, particularly in the consumer space. Western Digital has finally fired its first salvo with the SiliconE...
The Hitachi SimpleTOUGH external hard drive's rugged enclosure and embedded USB cable make it a great companion for road warriors. If you plan to knock your hard drive about during travel, this would be a good choice.
QNAP's TS-259 Pro Turbo is a fast two-bay network-attached storage (NAS) device with powerful guts and plenty of features. Backup support is a strong point, but media streaming and third-party software features could be further refined.
Mac users rejoice: Western Digital has finally upgraded its My Passport external hard drive range with a FireWire 800 interface. This means faster transfers, though the considerably thicker enclosure is a slight trade-off for Nudie-wearing hipsters.
Seagate's first network-attached (NAS) device, the BlackArmor NAS 440 (ST360005SHA10G-RK), offers the ability to encrypt volumes, easily manage RAID arrays and administer users. However, it's not without its flaws.
The Hitachi SimpleDRIVE Mini is a no-frills external hard drive that doesn't provide stellar file transfer performance, but it offers good value.
ASUS' TS mini Home Server is a Windows-based network-attached storage device that comes with 1TB of storage. Though it doesn't provide the flexibility of DIY NAS devices, its performance and online storage platform certainly justify the price.
HP's EX490 MediaSmart Server is a reasonably priced network-attached storage device that runs Windows rather than the Linux-based operating systems most competitors use. This makes it easy to share videos and music over your home network, as well as ...
Have you spent too much time waiting for large files to crawl between a computer and an external hard drive? Don't fret -- USB 3.0 has arrived. Not only can it move data faster and provide more power, but it's compatible with USB 2.0 devices.
The Thecus N4200 network-attached storage (NAS) device provides up to eight terabytes of storage over four drive bays. It also boasts a DHCP server and some innovative features like ISO mounting, but lacks the refinement and flexibility of competing ...
Many laptops keep a secret that doesn't get attention as much as it deserves. We're talking about the under-utilised ExpressCard slot, a multi-purpose expansion bay that has fantastic potential for expanding connectivity, storage and more.
After a long wait, we're now starting to see real USB 3.0 products in the wild, like this Buffalo DriveStation HD-UX3 1TB USB 3.0 hard drive. It's not a moment too soon.
I continue to be very impressed with Synology's small business storage products, and the new DS1010+ is no exception. In fact, it elevates my opinion even more. This feature-packed, speedy, and remarkably affordable five-bay storage array supports ju...
The iStorage diskGenie is a USB hard drive offering up to 500GB of storage. It features secure AES-256 encryption and is unlocked by a number keypad.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- CCNetwork Architect - Cisco, Aruba and SecurityNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160815/P/742Asia