Information storage and virtualisation company, and wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) has added the Hitachi Flash Storage (HFS) A series family to its flash portfolio.
USB Flash Drives
If you’ve ever wanted a flash drive that can be used on both Android and iOS devices, the PhotoFast iFlash Evo Plus is for you. It’s a 16-128GB stick (we’re looking at the 16GB here) that contains not only full-sized USB 3.0, but also micro-USB and Lightning connections.
With the iXpand drive, SanDisk is providing an on-the-go flash device for users of iPhones and iPads. It has been designed to be plug-and-play (after you install and app for it), and at its most basic level it’s a two-headed flash drive with both USB and Lightning interfaces. It's available in capacities of 32GB or 64GB. This review is of the 32GB version.
SanDisk’s Ultra Dual USB Drive is a USB drive with two connectors. On one side there is a micro-USB head for Android phones and tablets. On the other is a USB 2.0 connector for computers. The purpose of dual-head connections is for easy file transfers between your PC or Mac and your Android device.
Verbatim’s latest USB drive makes it possible to transfer multimedia files to an Android smartphone or tablet without using a computer. It’s an ideal solution for people who want to share content between their Android devices without having to install smartphone drivers and software on a computer.
Imation's 2-in-1 Micro USB Flash drive for Android may not be the most imaginatively named product of 2013, but it's definitely an interesting product, and one that's bound to appeal to data-swapping Android users who swing recent smartphones or tablets. It's a USB stick that has both regular USB and micro-USB ends, which means you can plug it into a PC, or directly into an Android device. Why? So you can quickly transfer stuff without having to use a cable or a cloud service.
The Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 is a chunky USB 3.0 thumbdrive with a good turn of speed and capacity up to 64GB
The IronKey Personal S200 is possibly the slickest combination of software- and hardware-based security in the flash drive market. Though you log on via software, the S200 uses hardware encryption so there's no software running on your PC that can be hacked to intercept data. It's also stylishly rendered in brushed silver metal, rugged, and easy to use.
The Kingston DataTraveler 5000 (4GB) is a USB 2.0 flash drive designed for business users who regularly carry sensitive information. With an RRP of $165, the Kingston DataTraveler 5000 might seem a bit pricey for a 4GB thumb drive, but you’re not paying for memory. What you're buying here is protection -- something that the Kingston DataTraveler 5000 has in spades.
Earlier this month, Imation launched its Defender series of USB flash drives aimed at the consumer portable storage and data backup market.
When we last looked at the Corsair Flash Voyager Mini, we were taken back by its capacity. At only 33x20mm and weighing under 6g, it seemed amazing that you could squeeze 4GB of flash storage into something so small.
Flash memory drives that are more about looks than portability.
The storage needs of business users vary. If you're on the road, a small and portable external hard drive with plenty of space will be handy. Home office users will appreciate lots of centralised hard drive space, while small offices with multiple PCs should look at the networked and centralised storage offered by network-attached storage (NAS) devices.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Technical Writer- understanding in RDMBS,Web server, StorageNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- FTVoice ArchitectNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP PI/PO ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSpatial DeveloperQLD
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL/Oracle) 160630/SA/254Asia
- FTEnterprise Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCTenable Security - Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorVIC
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCSharePoint Consultant - Office 365NSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT