With more than 500 million user accounts worldwide, Skype is one of the most popular free VoIP services around. Skype is probably most famous for its video-chat service, but it also provides telephony (the paid Skype-out feature even allows you to call landline and mobile phone numbers) and text-chat services.
According to Microsoft, Windows Live Hotmail is the world's largest web-based email service, with more than 360 million active accounts worldwide. But when it comes to buzz, Gmail has had it beat for the past several years. Now that may change. A revamped Hotmail was announced on May 18; it will be available sometime in July or August, with the exact date still to be determined.
It's not often that we give a thumbs-up to a program that's as buggy as Thunderbird to Outlook Express (TBird2OE). But we like this free app.
eBay has begun developing an alternative to the P2P technology used by Skype as a licensing dispute drags on and threatens to close the popular IP telephony service.
A lot of add-ons promise to help you restore order to your mess of an Outlook inbox, but most of the apps we've tried just resulted in more work for me. Not NEO Pro, though: this handy Outlook add-on is the first we've used that we actually plan to keep using.
Laptop Connect offers short-term wireless broadband hire and is the first service of its kind in Australia. It's a quick and easy solution for anyone who needs short-term mobile Internet access and isn't willing to sign up to a lengthy contract. However, it’s a little expensive for our liking.
Chances are you've heard or read about Google's phone management system Google Voice, but you're not really sure what it does. Google Voice is a free web-based application that lets you control all your various phone numbers - work, home, mobile, you name it - from a single, central phone number.
Translating to "doorway" in Finish, Nokia's Ovi Store is set to compete directly with Apple's App Store|Apple App Store.
You have your Twitter. And your Facebook. And your Flickr. And your MySpace. And, if you're like most people, the list of websites you use to share information with your friends, family, and the world at large probably goes on, too.
The 3 Mobile Internet Key E160 is a wireless broadband USB modem that's easy to set up. It provides full access to Telstra's Next G HSDPA network when roaming outside 3 Mobile's coverage area.
Though NEO Find brings faster searches and additional organization to Outlook e-mail, you must switch back and forth between Outlook and a separate program window to get its benefits.
Skype's mobile VoIP for the iPhone delivers where it matters: on voice quality.
Google will announce the next step in Gmail's evolution, a new product with "a European multilingual angle," on Monday.
The future does not look very bright for Skype, a day after Google announced it will launch a potential competitor and eBay's CEO said that the online auction company had basically failed in its efforts to integrate the voice-over-IP service.
Before I launch into my main thrust (a word that must be pronounced with a rolling "r") I have to direct you to a work of near genius, txt2re, an online regular expression code generator.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Legal spat pushes Ebay to develop new base for Skype
- Google plans fifth birthday present for Gmail users
- Google Voice, comments by eBay's CEO dim Skype's prospects
- Generating regexes and Gmail filters
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCTibco DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - DigitalVIC
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- CCSenior Systems Analyst (Biomedical)SA
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- CCProgram Portfolio LeadVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD