As mentioned in my last posting, I'm not a very good Linux evangelist. I don't try and convert family and friends to Linux. Therefore, as surprising as it sounds, putting Ubuntu on my dad's new laptop--as I did a week ago--was the first time I've eve...
Software and Services
Ask people what they like most about the Firefox browser and the answer is almost unanimous: The add-ons. Though blamed for slowing browser performance, the downloads allow users to customize the Firefox experience. Jetpack, announced yesterday, hope...
Google Chrome is a browser whose only claim to fame (aside from being a Google product) is its speed and simplicity. In fact, some would claim that Chrome is simple to a fault, with version 1 of the browser lacking features that seem almost fundament...
If you're like me, you probably hate attending business meetings. But a number of useful Internet-based tools have arisen that can help workgroups schedule and run them more effectively. All of the tools here work within most popular Web browsers, an...
Recently, the Web site analytics company Net Applications came out with figures that showed that in April, the percentage of "client devices" used to surf the Web that were running Linux crossed the 1% level for the first time ever -- 1.02%, to be ex...
Looking for a photo editor? The usual choices include Adobe Photoshop Elements (available online for about $US85 and up), which I use to demonstrate techniques here in Digital Focus, and Corel Paint Shop Pro (available for about $US70 and up). There ...
Mozilla Labs is challenging Web designers to help it find a more innovative way to represent browser tabs.
You might think that, as a Linux guy, I spend all my time converting friends and family to Linux. This is an epic cliche of the Slashdot-like Linux people, who will often post a comment like: "I switched my grandmother to Gentoo and she's never looke...
Microsoft has released the beta version of its Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, a free utility that tells you if your PC is ready to run Windows 7.
An October surprise -- that's how many are interpreting Microsoft's 11th-hour revelation that it will be providing a virtualized copy of Windows XP as a free compatibility add-on to Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.
Tests of the Windows 7 Release Candidate in our PC World Test Center found that while Windows 7 was slightly faster on our WorldBench 6 suite, the differences may be barely noticeable to users
We've compiled all the information you need to know about the Windows 7 Release Candidate and Microsoft's plans for the operating system.
We look at some of the changes Microsoft has made to Windows 7 since the Beta's release in January
We've worked long and hard to come up with the best tips and tricks for your PCs, smartphones, cameras, game controllers, music players, and the Web. Let's start with PC, laptop, and networking tips.
Old computer products, like old soldiers, never die. They stay on the market--even though they haven't been updated in eons. Or their names get slapped on new products that are available only outside the U.S. Or obsessive fans refuse to accept that t...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Pirate website blocking: Court to wrestle with definition of ‘online location’
- Not too late to change NBN’s direction, NBN Co’s first CEO says
- Zapier's automation tools integrate with Excel to make spreadsheets less tedious
- Australian broadband speeds set to lag world by 2020
- Microsoft wages war on 'crapware' with new Windows 10 tool
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160617/AP/623Asia
- CCDevOps /Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160615/ITA/922Asia
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW