The beta version of Office 2013 gets a needed facelift and adds a host of useful features, but its Cloud integration leaves something to be desired.
Software and Services
Apple updates its iOS mobile operating system once a year. But why should the iPhone and iPad have all the fun? On Thursday Apple announced that it will release a new version of OS X—Mountain Lion—this summer, just a year after the release of OS X Li...
Windows XP users, your favorite operating system is a decade old, and if you're still using it, you're not cool anymore, at least according to Microsoft. That's the software giant's recent take on its aging OS, which is still more popular than Vista ...
Back when Windows Vista was but a twinkle in Bill Gates's eye, Microsoft had some extremely ambitious plans to rid computer users of an outmoded concept called "files." But alas, WinFS (as the company's project was called) turned out to be too ambiti...
Reader David Mitchell delves into the personal with this question about Lion. He writes:
Thanks to three new features in Lion -- and improvements to one older feature -- losing your data or your place may soon be a thing of the past. Versions, Auto Save, Resume, and Time Machine combine to make sure that not only are your documents thoro...
Lion introduces a slew of changes to the OS X interface -- some of them entirely new, others variations on existing features. In either case, they're going to take some getting used to.
At long last, Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) is available, and unlike previous versions of the Mac OS, getting it doesn't involve driving to the nearest Apple Store or retailer, or waiting for the FedEx truck to arrive -- you just download it directly from the...
While there are many new features in Lion -- like Mission Control and Launchpad -- you'll also find some old familiars: The Finder, Spotlight, Quick Look, the Dock, and About this Mac, for example, are all still there. But that's not to say these OS ...
I enjoy being the tech hero. Relatives and friends come to me with their computer problems, and more often than not, I help them. Their problem gets solved, and my ego goes up a notch. (I can vouch for that last one. --Ed.)
Microsoft Word is ubiquitous: It's the standard word processor in most places of business, and it often ends up installed on home PCs due to compatibility and familiarity. It isn't the only choice, however. Whether your main concern is price, complex...
Windows is on the verge of dropping below 90% market share, with smartphones and tablets posing an increasingly serious threat to Microsoft's dominance of the operating system market.
Look for more robust voice recognition to take hold in the realm of personal computing, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak said in a brief interview this week that also touched on topics ranging from tablet computing, Oracle's acquisition strategy, and e...
There's no doubt Canonical's popular Ubuntu Linux distribution gets the majority of attention in the Linux world these days, but there are myriad others equally worthy of consideration.
One of the most exciting things about open-source software is the sheer diversity of projects that are always under way. Aiming to recognize some of the most promising of those projects, Black Duck Software on Friday announced its 2010 open-source "R...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 2 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 3 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 4 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 5 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- HFC services officially join NBN mix
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- A lawsuit over an unwanted Windows 10 upgrade just cost Microsoft $10,000
- Obama, Zuckerberg push better broadband, innovative startups
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTest LeadNSW
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCChange Manager, Digital ProgramNSW
- CCSAP Project Manager- HR/Payroll- Finance Systems IntegrationNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCMiddleware Developer - BaselineACT
- CCUser Experience AnalystACT
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- FTInformation Security ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer JUNIPERNSW
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCSalesforce Technical Business AnalystNSW
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- FTSOE Engineer - End User ComputingQLD
- CCSpatial DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW