Adobe Lightroom 4.1 is a comprehensive, self-contained environment for importing, editing, organizing, printing, and sharing your photos.
Graphics & Publishing
We look at several different ways that you can convert PowerPoint to Flash
If you have already used most of the Microsoft PowerPoint templates and you’re looking for some new ones we've selected some of the best
When I make stuff--regardless of the material I use--I start by creating a rough sketch of my idea using pencil and paper, and then I launch into the project, typically spending a great deal of time revising and fixing mistakes. In the future, however, I may try to design some projects in Alibre Design 2011 Personal Edition to save time and frustration on the back end. That is, if I can ever master this hobbyist-level CAD program.
Serif PhotoPlus is designed for photo enthusiasts who seek more creative control and functionality than what novice programs offer, but who aren't ready to graduate to the depth, complexity, and expense of Adobe Photoshop.
Able to design terrains, water and oceans, skies, clouds, fog, vegetation and architecture, along with strong animation and rendering tools, Bryce is a venerable 3D suite now being developed by Daz As to be expected, Bryce 7 Pro offers close integration with Daz Studio and thus access to the Daz library of digital characters and objects, but there's a welcome new ability to import models in Google Sketchup format, as well as import and export COLLADA and FBX files.
Adobe Acrobat is a multitalented business application. You can use it to lock down electronic documents, create press-ready color pages, or produce form-laden documents that feed data to a database. But judging from the beta I tried of Adobe Acrobat X Pro ($728 when released in fourth quarter 2010), the latest iteration will be much more Web-aware, and it will be able to bring new life to formerly staid, static electronic documents.
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, the new version of Adobe's image editing and organising application, adds a few interesting features, but nothing of an oh-wow nature--unless you're opting for the Macintosh version, which adds several features found in previous Windows versions. But whichever platform you're on, Elements 9 remains one of the better consumer-level image handling applications you can choose.
FxCamera is an easy, fun application that lets you take a picture with various effects including "Fisheye," "Polaroid," "Warhol," "Toycam," and "Symmetricam." There's also a "Normal" mode for taking regular photos. The app is easy to operate: When opened, it displays each effect option in a landscape slideshow. You simply tap on the camera icon at the bottom of each effect to access the camera function and take a photo with that effect.
Many professional photographers and serious hobbyists have been using Adobe Lightroom 2 as an integral part of their editing workflow. With Adobe Lightroom 3 ($412 for first-time buyers, $136.12 as an upgrade; prices as of June 25, 2010), even more photographers are likely to adopt it as a one-stop photo-editing resource.
Maya is the de facto application for 3D character animation, but even in Maya rigging a character for animation is often a tedious chore. Fortunately, in Maya 2011 rigging is a bit easier with new interactive skin binding which sets up initial skin weights via a weighting manipulator (like a scale or move manipulator). Once done the initial weights can be refined with the paint weighting tools which have also been improved with tools to copy, paste, and move weights, better selection, and improved colour feedback.
With InDesign CS4, Adobe tried to turn graphic designers into all-singing, all-dancing creators of interactive projects - turning print layouts into blinged-out fully animated Flash websites. Most designers ignored this, enjoying the few new layout tools like Smart Guides and Live Preflight and complaining that there’s no way to automatically convert RGB images to CMYK before output.
Looking for a photo editor? The usual choices include Adobe Photoshop Elements (available online for about $US85 and up), which I use to demonstrate techniques here in Digital Focus, and Corel Paint Shop Pro (available for about $US70 and up). There are free options as well, like Paint.Net and GIMP. For serious RAW shooters, I recommend Adobe Lightroom (available for about $US220 and up).
Our colleagues at Digital Arts have trawled the web to bring you the best free resources for Adobe Photoshop that every designer should own.
After months of development and hundreds of bug fixes, the open source photo manager digiKam has reached a significant milestone with the 0.10.0 final release for KDE4 and Windows.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- How to convert PowerPoint to Flash
- Best Microsoft PowerPoint Template Sites
- Open source digiKam hits 0.10.0 for KDE4, Windows
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProgram Portfolio LeadVIC
- CCSharePoint EngineerACT
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- CCData Migration SpecialistQLD
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Managed Print ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Unified Communications Consultant - National IT ServicesNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- CCIT Solution DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - HRIS ProjectQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- FTFraud AnalystVIC
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCWintel Engineer with Sharepoint 2010 / 2013NSW
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW