You'll find no driver and no cockpit, but plenty of processing power in Roborace's autonomous racecar, thanks to Nvidia's lunchbox-sized Drive PX 2 supercomputer.
Graphics & Publishing
Here's what Nvidia's monstrous new Pascal GPU looks like under the hood. Let's dive into the tech specs.
Nvidia's varied list of developer tools were messily organized in different kits, but that's not the case anymore.
AMD is releasing one monster graphics card after another as the GPU speed battle with Nvidia heats up.
Adobe Lightroom 4.1 is a comprehensive, self-contained environment for importing, editing, organizing, printing, and sharing your photos.
We look at several different ways that you can convert PowerPoint to Flash
If you have already used most of the Microsoft PowerPoint templates and you’re looking for some new ones we've selected some of the best
When I make stuff--regardless of the material I use--I start by creating a rough sketch of my idea using pencil and paper, and then I launch into the project, typically spending a great deal of time revising and fixing mistakes. In the future, however, I may try to design some projects in Alibre Design 2011 Personal Edition to save time and frustration on the back end. That is, if I can ever master this hobbyist-level CAD program.
Serif PhotoPlus is designed for photo enthusiasts who seek more creative control and functionality than what novice programs offer, but who aren't ready to graduate to the depth, complexity, and expense of Adobe Photoshop.
Able to design terrains, water and oceans, skies, clouds, fog, vegetation and architecture, along with strong animation and rendering tools, Bryce is a venerable 3D suite now being developed by Daz As to be expected, Bryce 7 Pro offers close integration with Daz Studio and thus access to the Daz library of digital characters and objects, but there's a welcome new ability to import models in Google Sketchup format, as well as import and export COLLADA and FBX files.
Adobe Acrobat is a multitalented business application. You can use it to lock down electronic documents, create press-ready color pages, or produce form-laden documents that feed data to a database. But judging from the beta I tried of Adobe Acrobat X Pro ($728 when released in fourth quarter 2010), the latest iteration will be much more Web-aware, and it will be able to bring new life to formerly staid, static electronic documents.
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, the new version of Adobe's image editing and organising application, adds a few interesting features, but nothing of an oh-wow nature--unless you're opting for the Macintosh version, which adds several features found in previous Windows versions. But whichever platform you're on, Elements 9 remains one of the better consumer-level image handling applications you can choose.
FxCamera is an easy, fun application that lets you take a picture with various effects including "Fisheye," "Polaroid," "Warhol," "Toycam," and "Symmetricam." There's also a "Normal" mode for taking regular photos. The app is easy to operate: When opened, it displays each effect option in a landscape slideshow. You simply tap on the camera icon at the bottom of each effect to access the camera function and take a photo with that effect.
Many professional photographers and serious hobbyists have been using Adobe Lightroom 2 as an integral part of their editing workflow. With Adobe Lightroom 3 ($412 for first-time buyers, $136.12 as an upgrade; prices as of June 25, 2010), even more photographers are likely to adopt it as a one-stop photo-editing resource.
Maya is the de facto application for 3D character animation, but even in Maya rigging a character for animation is often a tedious chore. Fortunately, in Maya 2011 rigging is a bit easier with new interactive skin binding which sets up initial skin weights via a weighting manipulator (like a scale or move manipulator). Once done the initial weights can be refined with the paint weighting tools which have also been improved with tools to copy, paste, and move weights, better selection, and improved colour feedback.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- The specs and story behind the Roborace autonomous car and its Nvidia Drive PX 2 brains
- Nvidia's Pascal GPU tech specs revealed: Full CUDA count, clock speeds, and more
- Nvidia unifies a big list of developer tools in one package
- AMD's new FirePro S9300 X2 is its latest monster GPU
- How to convert PowerPoint to Flash
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCInteraction & Visual - Web DesignerNSW
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW