A U.K. startup called Simplexo has launched an open-source enterprise search engine, joining a small but growing group of vendors hoping to crack the crowded technology space through that development model.
Software and Services
Ten days after Google launched Chrome, the new browser's share of those used it to reach Computerworld's Web site has dropped from a peak of 9.7 percent right after it was released and stabilized at between 5 percent and 6 percent.
Mozilla will respond to rivals Google and Microsoft with a private-browsing mode in Firefox, according to notes posted on its Web site, and is on track to deliver one in 3.1, the version that will likely go beta next month.
Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) browser includes a keystroke-logging search suggestion tool similar to the one that Google modified Monday after coming under fire from consumers.
Internet Explorer users abandoned the browser last week to try out Google's new Chrome, a Web metrics vendor said Tuesday.
Microsoft said on Tuesday that the next version of its Silverlight media player, due early next year, will be able to play live high-definition video encoded for rival Adobe Systems' Flash player.
Programming is about the language you enjoy developing with, so if .Net can run on Linux it is a good thing, according to one Microsoft development evangelist.
Apple will refresh its iPod line this week at an event in San Francisco, but it's uncertain what, if anything else, it will spring on customers, analysts said Monday.
With all the hubbub surrounding Google's rollout of Chrome last week, nearly lost in the buzz was the release the week before of Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) Beta 2.
Users running Firefox along with popular Norton security programs have reported problems after updating the browser to version 3.0.1, according to messages on Symantec's and Mozilla's support forums.
Microsoft's US$300 million advertising campaign for Windows starring comedian Jerry Seinfeld launched last week night with an extra-long television commercial almost entirely devoid of any talk of Windows, Microsoft, or anything, really.
Something that might have gone unnoticed from Google this week is the patching of a serious vulnerability that previously allowed an attacker to exploit a weakness in Google's Single Sign-On service used with Google Apps to take over a victim's Googl...
A low-cost XO laptop from the One Laptop Per Child Project (OLPC) that carries both Windows and Linux will be out within the next month or so, according to an OLPC official.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Dell XPS 13 laptop (early 2015 model)
- 2 HP Stream 8 tablet with Windows 8.1
- 3 Samsung Gear VR virtual reality headset
- 4 Alienware 13 gaming laptop
- 5 Toshiba Portege Z20t Ultrabook (PT15BA-00500Y)
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft tightens Windows 10's Secure Boot screws: Where does that leave Linux?
- Microsoft prepares Windows 10 for panoply of sensors
- Microsoft's Satya Nadella is picking March Madness winners better than Bing
- Twitter tests videos that play automatically
- Microsoft to support 8K video resolutions with Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Release EngineerNSW
- FTAgency Sales Manager - Software Sales - Major Global Tech Company!NSW
- FTMedia Sales Executive - Client Side!!NSW
- FTDigital Producer - Mobile AppsNSW
- FTMobile Sales managerNSW
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTCRM Campaign ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Communications Specialist | Internet Services| BrisbaneNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Producer | MobileNSW
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTSales Manager - Seller AdvertisingNSW
- FTEmail Campaign Manager - leading fashion group!NSW
- CCMobile iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- CC.Net Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior SQL DBANSW
- FTDigital Producer - ConsumerNSW
- FT.Net Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTMarketing Executive | MusicNSW