With Google Inc. working on its upcoming browser-based Chrome operating system, the company is intensifying its grudge match with rival Microsoft Corp.
Software and Services
Google is hosting an event today to offer the first official glimpse at the Chrome operating system. Chrome has ignited enthusiasm in an operating system market that has been largely stagnant for years. Google may succeed in shaking things up a bit.
Microsoft today denied that it has built a backdoor into Windows 7, a concern that surfaced yesterday after a senior National Security Agency (NSA) official testified before Congress that the agency had worked on the operating system.
Google said today that the upcoming release of its new Google Chrome operating system will not support hard disk drives in favor of solid state drives (SSD).
Google released its Chrome operating system to the open-source community on Thursday and said it has designed the netbook OS to be faster, simpler and more secure than existing ones.
As anticipated, Microsoft yesterday launched the first, and likely only, public beta of Office 2010.
The National Security Agency (NSA) worked with Microsoft on the development of Windows 7, an agency official acknowledged yesterday during testimony before Congress.
As expected, Microsoft today launched its first public beta of Office 2010, posting the preview for download on its Web site.
Microsoft announced that its Azure cloud computing platform will be launched into production on January 1st of 2010. Chief software architect Ray Ozzie also unveiled details of a cloud computing project, codenamed 'Dallas'.
Microsoft posted the Office 2010 Beta to its developer and IT subscription sites today, another clue that it will soon offer the preview to the general public.
Google is publicly testing a new image search interface whose results, when clicked on, don't take users to an external Web page but instead display the clicked-upon image at the center of a radiating cluster of similar thumbnails.
Google Sites, the wiki-based hosted application for building group Web sites, is gaining its first wave of templates with a set for workplaces and a set for personal use.
A Beijing court has ruled that Microsoft violated a Chinese company's intellectual property rights in a case over fonts used in past Windows operating systems, state media said Tuesday.
Hackers have figured out how to sidestep Windows 7's activation process, continuing a long-running battle with Microsoft, which has blocked such tactics in the past.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
- NBN ditches Optus HFC for FTTdp
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA