Microsoft executives put a rosy glow on the company's prospects and performance at the company's annual financial analysts meeting, despite a recent quarterly report that fell short of revenue expectations by US$1 billion.
Software and Services
Disney and Universal Studios are among 13 production companies that are trying to get BitTorrent search engine the Pirate Bay closed.
Many potential buyers of laptops priced under US$300 in the U.S. had an unpleasant surprise over the weekend: The machines would not be eligible for a free upgrade to Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system.
Microsoft made a U-turn today and announced that it would hand out free copies of Windows 7 Ultimate to the initiation-only testers who received the very earliest builds of the OS last year.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was surprised that Wall Street reacted negatively to Yahoo's plan to hand over its Internet search and advertising reins to Microsoft, he said Thursday.
When Yahoo Inc. agreed to team up with Microsoft Corp. to better take on search giant Google Inc., some analysts said they wondered whether the online pioneer mistakenly sold its soul in the process.
Microsoft acknowledged its Windows Mobile segment has not performed well and said it is working on turning that around, but it's uncertain whether its efforts will go far enough.
Pirates have cracked Windows 7's product activation just a week after the operating system made RTM and a week before it's slated to reach users, Microsoft confirmed today.
The Pirate Bay's shot at legitimacy may be over before it even began, as Swedish firm Global Gaming Factory hasn't produced enough money to buy the legendary torrent tracking site.
About a year after Microsoft's hostile, contentious and unsuccessful bid to buy Yahoo, the two companies appear set to join forces to take on a common rival - Google.
Yahoo's high-profile and widely used search APIs (application programming interfaces) and search programs for external developers are up in the air after the company's decision to outsource its search engine services to Microsoft.
The head of Google's search organization said the search deal announced Wednesday between Microsoft and Yahoo looked likely to be negative for competition and for consumers.
Microsoft and Yahoo struck a long-anticipated search deal Wednesday under which Microsoft's Bing search engine will power Yahoo's search site, and Yahoo will sell premium search advertising services for both companies.
With Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc. signing an Internet search and advertising agreement today, some might think that search giant Google Inc. would be nervously looking over its shoulder at the oncoming assault.
A third of UK workers have admitted to becoming offended or upset after misinterpreting the tone or language used in email received from colleagues, says GMX.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft claims 110M devices now run Windows 10
- Windows 10 growth slows, but breaks 100M device mark
- Google Photos’ big, helpful Android update goes live
- Microsoft’s Sydney store will open its doors on 12 November
- Tim Cook on Apple and Microsoft partnership: 'It's what customers want'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW