Foxtel is leveraging its relationship with Telstra in its most defensive move yet against a wave of video-on-demand services with the launch of bundled Foxtel, home phone and broadband plans.
Video & Audio
Foxtel’s Play video-on-demand service is now available on Sony’s PlayStation 3, with the content provider pledging future support for the next-generation PlayStation 4.
Presto makes Foxtel’s movie library available for $20 per month without having to commit to a contract. The service will have access to roughly one thousand movies from several notable Hollywood studios, in addition to granting subscribers access to Foxtel’s seven live movie channels.
By now, there is a big chance that you have come into contact with the Gangnam Style phenomenon that is sweeping the world.
Nuance's Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 voice recognition software has been released in Australia, with digital downloads available now and boxed versions of the application available from 28 August. NaturallySpeaking 12 is the first major new version of the core Dragon desktop software in two years following the launch of version 11 in July 2010.
When it comes to video editing, nothing ever happens quickly enough, no matter how powerful your computer.
Nero recently refreshed its Multimedia Suite 10, which it had extensively revised only last spring. The Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD adds Blu-ray movie creation and playback to a broad feature set that already comprised audio and video editing and conversion, data disc creation, DVD authoring, and more. The new $109 Video Premiumits HD is a subset consisting of the video-oriented components, plus support for creating and playing back Blu-ray movies.
Sony's Vegas Pro video-editing software has a less-flashy reputation compared with competitors Apple Final Cut Pro 7 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, but this powerful application has its fans, too. The latest version, Sony Vegas Pro 10, gains some features that the other programs already had, but it also gains a few new functions that are unique, including stereoscopic-3D editing.
Muvee Pixie is little sibling to, or subset of, Muvee's full Reveal video authoring utility.
With the exception of folks who haven't had their shots, just about everyone who has a video capture device is desperate to go "viral"--to have their video to become so wildly popular that everyone knows its title by name. Adobe's Premiere Elements 9 video editor may not help your videos get a million views in a day, but it does have a few new features that might induce Mum and Dad to watch them, anyway.
In keeping with this year's all-things-3D theme, Roxio's latest media creation and disc-burning suite, Media Creator 2011 includes do-it-yourself 3D creation capabilities for creating or transcoding images and videos to anaglyph 3D. Other changes in the package are minimal. however.
With Nero Multimedia Suite 10, Nero has finally begun to take steps addressing what its perennially powerful burning software suite has lacked - easy creativity.
Adobe is aiming high with the newly native 64-bit Premiere CS5, offering a range of cutting-edge features for the professional video market. First among these is the GPU-accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine (MPE). This allows you to open and work with HD and higher-resolution sequences in real time, enjoy smooth scrubbing and play back complex projects without rendering.
Is ArcSoft MediaConverter 4 a good purchase? Alas, we're talking close but no cigar. The interface is a tad odd, it lags behind competitors such as Xilisoft in codec support, and it's rather pricey.
CyberLink's PowerDVD 10 Ultra, the most powerful and stable DVD and Blu-ray movie player available, offers an array of new features in the new version. The biggest boost, however, comes from 3D support.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel makes triple threat play with broadband, home phone and pay TV
- Foxtel finally comes to the Sony PlayStation
- Presto: Get Foxtel movies streamed to your iPad with no contract
- Gangnam Style, YouTube and the cult of social media
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 gets Australian release
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Identity ManagerVIC
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW