Google's $US199 Nexus 7 tablet is a device that's more than a competitor to Amazon's Kindle Fire, but is not on the same scale as the Apple iPad -- at least not yet, according to analysts.
Tablets & eBook readers
At the Day One Android keynote and Google I/O, Google revealed the latest update to the Android operating system. Android 4.1, also known as Jelly Bean, is more of a minor upgrade than a complete overhaul of the operating system.
Google took a cue from Amazon's Kindle Fire announcing the Nexus 7 tablet optimized for content from Google Play including books, games, TV shows, movies, apps, and magazines.
As expected, Google on Wednesday announced a $199, 7-in. tablet called Nexus 7 that will run on Android 4.1, dubbed Jelly Bean.
During the keynote address at Google I/O 2012 in San Francisco, Google Announced Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the next update to its mobile operating system. As its version number suggests, Jelly Bean isn't a major overhaul for Android. Instead, it builds...
Google has taken the wraps off the next version of its Android operating system, known as Jelly Bean, which adds improvements to search, voice typing and notifications.
Google on Wednesday introduced the Nexus 7 tablet, which has a 7-inch screen and is priced at $199.99
New OS also boosts performance improvements, actionable notifications; Kindle Fire competitor also unveiled
Apple has released a new free app—titled, much more appropriately, Podcasts—which now serves as the one-stop shop for all of your iOS podcast needs.
If the starting price of the expected Google Nexus 7 is $US199, Google could be spending $US130 to $US210 for materials and manufacturing costs for each device, according to a preliminary estimate from IHS iSuppli.
On the eve of the expected announcement of a new Google tablet that takes aim at Amazon's Kindle Fire, a leak from within the online retailer revealed that a new version of its slate will be announced by the end of July.
Google’s rumoured upcoming release of a low-cost Nexus tablet has sparked rampant speculation.
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is the latest version to show up on smartphones and tablets
As Google ramps up for its big I/O conference in San Francisco this week, analysts say the company must continue to prove the value of its Android operating system to developers.
Google will have its chance to show up Apple and Microsoft in the coming days when the search giant is expected to debut the next version of the Android mobile operating system and new Nexus-branded devices. Google's big show will happen during Googl...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Slump continues as tablet markets records worst quarter since 2012
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Intel's tablet adventure looking more like its netbook disaster
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro teardown reveals iPhone 6s Plus camera and 2GB of RAM
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (HTML/JAVA/MySQL) 160613/JP/921Asia
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCIT Change Coordinator / AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Data/ InformationVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCInside Sales Specialist / Customer Service - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (System Backup Operation/UNIX) 160615/AP/791Asia
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- FTTechnical Lead - Tier 1 Customer interfaceACT
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCCobol ProgrammerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160617/AP/623Asia
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW