Big tablets like the iPad will always be popular, especially among high-end buyers. But the future belongs to smaller, cheaper tablets like the Google Nexus 7 and the upcoming mini iPad, says columnist Mike Elgan.
Tablets & eBook readers
If Apple launches a pint-sized version of its best selling iPad tablet, it could grab sales not only from competitors but from Apple itself.
Archos Thursday announced the Archos 97 Carbon, which is the first member of the company's new Elements line of entry-level Android tablets. As the name suggests, the Archos 97 Carbon is a 9.7-inch tablet, and is priced at just $250USD.
If you downloaded Instapaper, Angry Birds Space, or GoodReader from Apple's App Store over the past couple days, you may have discovered that the app crashed nearly instantly when you attempted to launch it.
Amazon is reportedly planning to take on the Google Nexus 7 with its Kindle Fire 2 tablet.
Apple has been toying with the idea of releasing an iPad Mini for some time. But now, if the rumours are true, it looks as though the technology iGiant has got a ballpark release date in mind.
There have been rumors of a smaller 7-inch iPad since...well, since the original iPad hit the street. With the launch of the Amazon Kindle Fire, though, followed by the announcement of the Google Nexus 7, speculation has once again reached a fever pi...
Fresh reports that Apple is prepping a launch of a 7- or 8-inch version of its' iPad have surfaced once again. Claims, from the Bloomberg news agency, come about a week after Google launched a $200 7-inch tablet, the Nexus 7.
ASUS has admitted it is uncertain exactly when its flagshipTransformer Pad Infinity TF700T Android tablet will officially release in Australia, while the device will retail at a higher price than initially expected.
Google's Nexus 7 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean tablet will start shipping on 19 July.
Nokia has claimed that the Google Nexus 7 tablet infringes on patents.
Google's Nexus 7 tablet looks like the low-cost, iPad alternative that Android fans have been waiting for, at least on the outside.
Google's latest version of its Android operating system is barely out the door and it's already in a patent controversy.
Google's $199 media and entertainment tablet slays the Amazon rival with pure Android and a Chrome browser
Apple will launch a new 10in iPad this summer, with an indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) panel that will enable the tablet to be thinner and have a longer battery life.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Intel's tablet adventure looking more like its netbook disaster
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro teardown reveals iPhone 6s Plus camera and 2GB of RAM
- The world's first Ubuntu tablet opens preorders, converging PCs and mobile devices
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW