Google's new Nexus 7 tablet may be aimed more at Amazon and its Kindle Fire than Apple and its iPad, but Apple will not be able to ignore the low-end of the tablet market dominated by 7-in. devices, analysts said today.
Tablets & eBook readers - News
Google says its new Nexus 7 tablet is thin and light, and a quick glance at the product suggests this is true--well, the "thin" part, at least. It's hard to gauge a tablet's weight until you're actually holding the thing in your hands.
Google's $US199 Nexus 7 tablet is a device that's more than a competitor to Amazon's Kindle Fire, but is not on the same scale as the Apple iPad -- at least not yet, according to analysts.
At the Day One Android keynote and Google I/O, Google revealed the latest update to the Android operating system. Android 4.1, also known as Jelly Bean, is more of a minor upgrade than a complete overhaul of the operating system.
Google took a cue from Amazon's Kindle Fire announcing the Nexus 7 tablet optimized for content from Google Play including books, games, TV shows, movies, apps, and magazines.
As expected, Google on Wednesday announced a $199, 7-in. tablet called Nexus 7 that will run on Android 4.1, dubbed Jelly Bean.
During the keynote address at Google I/O 2012 in San Francisco, Google Announced Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the next update to its mobile operating system. As its version number suggests, Jelly Bean isn't a major overhaul for Android. Instead, it builds...
Google has taken the wraps off the next version of its Android operating system, known as Jelly Bean, which adds improvements to search, voice typing and notifications.
Google on Wednesday introduced the Nexus 7 tablet, which has a 7-inch screen and is priced at $199.99
New OS also boosts performance improvements, actionable notifications; Kindle Fire competitor also unveiled
Apple has released a new free app—titled, much more appropriately, Podcasts—which now serves as the one-stop shop for all of your iOS podcast needs.
If the starting price of the expected Google Nexus 7 is $US199, Google could be spending $US130 to $US210 for materials and manufacturing costs for each device, according to a preliminary estimate from IHS iSuppli.
On the eve of the expected announcement of a new Google tablet that takes aim at Amazon's Kindle Fire, a leak from within the online retailer revealed that a new version of its slate will be announced by the end of July.
Google’s rumoured upcoming release of a low-cost Nexus tablet has sparked rampant speculation.
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is the latest version to show up on smartphones and tablets
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Tablet modules add features but limit functionality
- Slump continues as tablet markets records worst quarter since 2012
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Intel's tablet adventure looking more like its netbook disaster
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCERP LeadWA
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterVIC
- CCIteration Manager - DigitalNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Security Analyst | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCEOI - Performance TesterWA
- CCTechnology Specialist-AWS MigrationNSW
- CCProject Coordinator / Specialist / Analyst - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTLicensing SpecialistVIC
- FTSEM / PPC SpecialistNSW
- CCSoftware DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Lead : Perth BasedVIC
- CCAgile Iteration ManagerNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerWA
- FTBusiness Intelligence Technical AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Wealth ManagementNSW
- FT2 x Firewall Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCProject Manager DW BINSW
- CCSoftware Engineer - Submarine simulation and testingVIC
- CCJava Developer/ Web DesginerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence SpecialistQLD