To get a better idea of how Windows 8 works, here are some videos showing some of the new functions and features, including the Start screen, Switcher and Charms.
Windows 8 - Guides
While it's recommended that you run Windows 8 on modern hardware, the new operating system will run on older computers, as long as they feature the following specifications.
Not unless it is very old. Windows 8 will run just fine on notebooks and desktops that have been purchased over the last couple of years. However, there are a few things that you need to be aware of.
In terms of looks, Windows RT and Windows 8 use the same new-style Start screen. However, Windows RT has been designed specifically to run on ARM-based tablet devices.
Along with all the traditional PC vendors offering new equipment in time for the launch of Windows 8, what you will also find are Microsoft's own tablet devices, called Surface.
It's inevitable that with a new operating system there are new computers released to support it. With Windows 8, there are many different types of laptops to choose from, including thin-and-light Ultrabooks and, in particular, Ultrabooks that are get...
Almost every new Windows-based computer on the Australian market from late October and onwards will ship with a pre-installed version of Windows 8. However, if you have already purchased a new computer this year (after 22 June 2012), then you are eli...
Now that you know about Windows 8's main features and all-new design, you might be wondering what different versions are available to you.
The Control Panel in Windows 8 looks largely the same as the Control Panel in Windows 7, except for some added sections.
Microsoft has its own cloud-based storage solution called SkyDrive. It has its own tile on the Windows Start interface and it can be used to share data across multiple computers through the Internet.
Backup and Restore, which was a feature in the Windows 7 Control Panel, is no longer available in Windows 8. To back up your files, you can use the new feature called File History, which we discussed in the previous chapter.
Windows Defender is built into Windows 8 and it can be used for protection against viruses, spyware and other malicious software. It works in the background in real-time and can check any programs that you download from the Web for viruses before you...
Much like the app stores for Android- and Apple iOS-based smartphones and tablets, Microsoft has a dedicated store through which you can download and install various apps.
It's important to note that you can log in to Windows 8 either as a local user, or with an online Microsoft account.
One of the other main differences between the Windows 8 interface and the Windows 7 interface is in the way the networking interface is laid out.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- Microsoft: Windows 8 passes 60 million licenses sold
- Windows 8 notebooks aren't selling partly due to price
- Dell scraps Android smartphones in favour of Windows 8 tablets
- Windows 8 hybrid laptops will be scarce through the holidays
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCContract Management SpecialistNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationNSW
- CCProgram ManagerACT
- CCWeb Analytics AnalystNSW
- FTDigital DeveloperNSW
- CCLevel 3 Microsoft Resource EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCQA Test Lead- Digital, Mobile, UX, AGILE, CloudNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/XML) 161018/JP/922Asia
- CCSenior Siebel Business AnalystACT
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerSA
- CCPOS EngineerNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 161014/CO/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Margin ProjectsNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Marketing Automation)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/J2EE) 161025/AP/862Asia
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT