While the biggest new feature in Windows 8 is the Start screen, some changes have also been implemented on the Desktop. In particular, the menus in Windows Explorer now use the Ribbon interface.
Windows 8 - Guides
You'll get the most out of Windows 8 if you have a computer with a touchscreen, and particularly a tablet or hybrid-style Ultrabook. Using your finger to navigate the operating system is very easy once you learn all the necessary gestures.
Just as you can use a mouse to navigate around the Windows 8 interface, you can also use your notebook's touchpad to perform click-and-drag operations to close and manipulate apps.
The Windows 8 interface has been designed with touchscreens in mind, but it's also possible to navigate it effectively using a keyboard and a mouse. In fact, if you don't have a touchscreen computer, and even if you never plan on getting one, you can...
The most daunting aspect of Windows 8 is its radically changed interface. There is no Windows Start Menu button on the Desktop and when you boot to the new operating system, the first screen you see is not the Desktop, but the new Start screen instea...
This book will guide you through some of the new features that you can expect to find in Windows 8, including the all-important Start screen. We'll also talk a little about some of the new types of computers that are available for Windows 8, and whet...
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- Microsoft: Windows 8 passes 60 million licenses sold
- Windows 8 notebooks aren't selling partly due to price
- Dell scraps Android smartphones in favour of Windows 8 tablets
- Windows 8 hybrid laptops will be scarce through the holidays
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- FTBusiness Development Executive - Queensland Public SectorQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA