While the biggest new feature in Windows 8 is the Start screen, some changes have also been implemented on the Desktop. In particular, the menus in Windows Explorer now use the Ribbon interface.
You'll get the most out of Windows 8 if you have a computer with a touchscreen, and particularly a tablet or hybrid-style Ultrabook. Using your finger to navigate the operating system is very easy once you learn all the necessary gestures.
Just as you can use a mouse to navigate around the Windows 8 interface, you can also use your notebook's touchpad to perform click-and-drag operations to close and manipulate apps.
The Windows 8 interface has been designed with touchscreens in mind, but it's also possible to navigate it effectively using a keyboard and a mouse. In fact, if you don't have a touchscreen computer, and even if you never plan on getting one, you can...
The most daunting aspect of Windows 8 is its radically changed interface. There is no Windows Start Menu button on the Desktop and when you boot to the new operating system, the first screen you see is not the Desktop, but the new Start screen instea...
This book will guide you through some of the new features that you can expect to find in Windows 8, including the all-important Start screen. We'll also talk a little about some of the new types of computers that are available for Windows 8, and whet...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- Microsoft: Windows 8 passes 60 million licenses sold
- Windows 8 notebooks aren't selling partly due to price
- Dell scraps Android smartphones in favour of Windows 8 tablets
- Windows 8 hybrid laptops will be scarce through the holidays
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- FTImplementation Consultant, Enterprise SoftwareNSW
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTOracle Middleware ConsultantNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCTechnical Project Manager, MigrationNSW
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCTeradata DeveloperNSW
- FTChange LeadNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCAngularJS DeveloperNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW