While the biggest new feature in Windows 8 is the Start screen, some changes have also been implemented on the Desktop. In particular, the menus in Windows Explorer now use the Ribbon interface.
You'll get the most out of Windows 8 if you have a computer with a touchscreen, and particularly a tablet or hybrid-style Ultrabook. Using your finger to navigate the operating system is very easy once you learn all the necessary gestures.
Just as you can use a mouse to navigate around the Windows 8 interface, you can also use your notebook's touchpad to perform click-and-drag operations to close and manipulate apps.
The Windows 8 interface has been designed with touchscreens in mind, but it's also possible to navigate it effectively using a keyboard and a mouse. In fact, if you don't have a touchscreen computer, and even if you never plan on getting one, you can...
The most daunting aspect of Windows 8 is its radically changed interface. There is no Windows Start Menu button on the Desktop and when you boot to the new operating system, the first screen you see is not the Desktop, but the new Start screen instea...
This book will guide you through some of the new features that you can expect to find in Windows 8, including the all-important Start screen. We'll also talk a little about some of the new types of computers that are available for Windows 8, and whet...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- Microsoft: Windows 8 passes 60 million licenses sold
- Windows 8 notebooks aren't selling partly due to price
- Dell scraps Android smartphones in favour of Windows 8 tablets
- Windows 8 hybrid laptops will be scarce through the holidays
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCSolution DesignerACT
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- CCContract System Analyst (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCTechnology DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT