While the biggest new feature in Windows 8 is the Start screen, some changes have also been implemented on the Desktop. In particular, the menus in Windows Explorer now use the Ribbon interface.
Windows 8 - Guides
You'll get the most out of Windows 8 if you have a computer with a touchscreen, and particularly a tablet or hybrid-style Ultrabook. Using your finger to navigate the operating system is very easy once you learn all the necessary gestures.
Just as you can use a mouse to navigate around the Windows 8 interface, you can also use your notebook's touchpad to perform click-and-drag operations to close and manipulate apps.
The Windows 8 interface has been designed with touchscreens in mind, but it's also possible to navigate it effectively using a keyboard and a mouse. In fact, if you don't have a touchscreen computer, and even if you never plan on getting one, you can...
The most daunting aspect of Windows 8 is its radically changed interface. There is no Windows Start Menu button on the Desktop and when you boot to the new operating system, the first screen you see is not the Desktop, but the new Start screen instea...
This book will guide you through some of the new features that you can expect to find in Windows 8, including the all-important Start screen. We'll also talk a little about some of the new types of computers that are available for Windows 8, and whet...
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- Microsoft: Windows 8 passes 60 million licenses sold
- Windows 8 notebooks aren't selling partly due to price
- Dell scraps Android smartphones in favour of Windows 8 tablets
- Windows 8 hybrid laptops will be scarce through the holidays
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Software Engineer - C/C++NSW
- CCFinancial AnalystNSW
- FTNode.js/API DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Agile DigitalVIC
- CCProject Administrator-NSW
- FTTechnology Solutions Architect - CloudNSW
- FTPrincipal Product Manager | Cloud | Managed ServicesNSW
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCSEM / PPC SpecialistNSW
- CCAzure/Sharepoint DeveloperNSW
- CCPerformance Test AnalystVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- CCJDE ERP Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Security and Risk ConsultantNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)ACT
- TPData CoordinatorVIC
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- CCConsumer Social Specialist (Digital)VIC
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperQLD
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- TPBusiness Improvement and Change ManagerQLD
- CCSuperannuation Research ConsultantNSW
- FTIteration ManagerSA
- FTLead Frontend DeveloperNSW
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT