An update to Windows 8 is in the works, codenamed Windows Blue.
It's a tablet! No, it's a laptop! The introduction of Microsoft Windows 8 has spawned a variety of new and exciting devices -- including a group of tablets that turn into laptops, and vice versa. Here are 10 new and upcoming convertibles that were built especially to accommodate the new operating system.
Need a mouse for your Windows 8 laptop or a keyboard for your Windows RT tablet? These devices from Microsoft and Logitech are solid options from proven peripherals vendors.
13 new Windows machines that aren't Surface RT
Microsoft today launched Windows 8 in Australia, showcasing the new operating system's interface, apps and social features to a room full of journalists at Sydney's Hordern Pavilion.
Microsoft's Windows 8 launch on October 26 is nearly here, and new device announcements are coming so fast you need a scorecard to keep up. One of the big themes with this touch-centric Windows release is touchscreens on everything including Ultrabooks, tablets with keyboard docks, or new all-in-one convertible PCs. Some critics aren't buying the hybrid device craze that Windows 8 is inspiring, but if you ever wanted to a touch-enabled laptop, there's never been a better time to buy.
When Windows 8 finally comes out in October, there will be many new types of notebooks on the market that will be able to take advantage of the new operating system's touch features. There will be plenty of notebook styles to choose from, and we're starting to get a glimpse of what some of the manufacturers will be offering.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- Microsoft: Windows 8 passes 60 million licenses sold
- Windows 8 notebooks aren't selling partly due to price
- Dell scraps Android smartphones in favour of Windows 8 tablets
- Windows 8 hybrid laptops will be scarce through the holidays
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical BA - Networking/Infrastructure - Site RelocationNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCx2 AEM Frontend/UI DevelopersVIC
- CCEngineering Lead - InfrastructureVIC
- FTSystems AnalystVIC
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - Tier 1 Customer interfaceACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCData Warehouse Specialist- Power BI, SSAS DBA, Azure, SQLNSW
- CCTechnologyOne System Administration and DevelopmentACT
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCSpatial DeveloperQLD
- CCTibco DeveloperWA
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- CCUser Experience AnalystACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSAP PI/PO ConsultantVIC
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCProject Manager - IT SecurityNSW
- CCSolution DesignerACT