What it does: We've seen gaming, social networking, even a religion-based app present some risks to privacy and security. Education and research apps should be safe, right? Wrong. South Dakota Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (free) provides news updates, announcements, media and funding opportunities. But the makers of this app need to study up on security.
What are the risks:
• The app was not compiled as a Position Independent Executable (PIE), which could expose the app to memory corruption attacks.
• Can access the device's Camera, Location and Calendar.
• Integrates into Facebook.
• Incorporates Flurry Analytics framework, a service that collects usage data.
• Uses 8 ad networks.
• Sends all data in unencrypted clear text.