iOS, 3G, Wi-Fi, touch screen, Android, megapixels, Windows Phone. You've no doubt heard of these terms before but you would be forgiven for thinking we were talking about computers rather than mobile phones.
Today's mobile phones, often referred to as smartphones, do much more than just make phone calls and send text messages. They act as digital cameras and are often capable of taking photos comparable to a cheap, dedicated point and shoot digital camera. They record high definition video clips. They connect to the Internet, allowing you to browse and surf the Web in the palm of your hand. They can give you GPS directions, including telling you exactly how to get from one location to another. They access hundreds and thousands of mobile apps including popular services like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. They enable you to access your e-mail on the go.
With so much technology packed into a small device, buying a smartphone can be an awfully confusing process. Why is one phone better than another? What's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone? Should you care? We aim to answer all of these questions and more in a bid to give you the best possible buying advice.
What is an OS
What is an OS and why should you care? We tell you all you need to know about the key mobile operating systems on the market from all the big brands.
Top smartphone brands
What's the difference between an Apple iPhone and a Samsung Android phone? What does a HTC phone do that a BlackBerry won't? We have all the answers and more!
Buying a new smartphone? Don't know what to look for? Our buying advice will help you every step of the way.
Want to know how to get the best out of your smartphone? Our detailed tutorials will help you become an expert in no time.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft expands FastTrack service to aid Office 365 migration for businesses
- Verizon will use its mobile supercookie to target customers with AOL ads
- EU Safe Harbor ruling could have bearing on Microsoft email dispute
- IPsoft's 'Amelia' virtual assistant just got a whole lot more human
- Surface Pro 4 on sale at Microsoft's Sydney store on November 12
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW