iOS, 3G, Wi-Fi, touch screen, Android, megapixels, Windows Phone. You've no doubt heard of these terms before but you would be forgiven for thinking we were talking about computers rather than mobile phones.
Today's mobile phones, often referred to as smartphones, do much more than just make phone calls and send text messages. They act as digital cameras and are often capable of taking photos comparable to a cheap, dedicated point and shoot digital camera. They record high definition video clips. They connect to the Internet, allowing you to browse and surf the Web in the palm of your hand. They can give you GPS directions, including telling you exactly how to get from one location to another. They access hundreds and thousands of mobile apps including popular services like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. They enable you to access your e-mail on the go.
With so much technology packed into a small device, buying a smartphone can be an awfully confusing process. Why is one phone better than another? What's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone? Should you care? We aim to answer all of these questions and more in a bid to give you the best possible buying advice.
What is an OS
What is an OS and why should you care? We tell you all you need to know about the key mobile operating systems on the market from all the big brands.
Top smartphone brands
What's the difference between an Apple iPhone and a Samsung Android phone? What does a HTC phone do that a BlackBerry won't? We have all the answers and more!
Buying a new smartphone? Don't know what to look for? Our buying advice will help you every step of the way.
Want to know how to get the best out of your smartphone? Our detailed tutorials will help you become an expert in no time.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Shared malware code links SWIFT-related breaches at banks and North Korean hackers
- Senate proposal to require encryption workarounds may be dead
- Acer's Windows 10 Switch hybrids priced to battle Chromebooks
- Seagate 8TB NAS drive: Review
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCChange Manager- ProcurementNSW
- CCSystems Engineer - Wintel, VMWare and CitrixNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst or Information AnalystNSW
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT
- FTInfrastructure Specialist - Sec Ops Network & OSAsia
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer (IBM/Oracle/SQL) 160524/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTSenior Java Developer / Technical LeadACT
- CCChange Manager - SAP FinanceNSW
- CCOracle Applications Team LeadNSW
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- CCTransition Manager / Project ManagerQLD