iOS, 3G, Wi-Fi, touch screen, Android, megapixels, Windows Phone. You've no doubt heard of these terms before but you would be forgiven for thinking we were talking about computers rather than mobile phones.
Today's mobile phones, often referred to as smartphones, do much more than just make phone calls and send text messages. They act as digital cameras and are often capable of taking photos comparable to a cheap, dedicated point and shoot digital camera. They record high definition video clips. They connect to the Internet, allowing you to browse and surf the Web in the palm of your hand. They can give you GPS directions, including telling you exactly how to get from one location to another. They access hundreds and thousands of mobile apps including popular services like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. They enable you to access your e-mail on the go.
With so much technology packed into a small device, buying a smartphone can be an awfully confusing process. Why is one phone better than another? What's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone? Should you care? We aim to answer all of these questions and more in a bid to give you the best possible buying advice.
What is an OS
What is an OS and why should you care? We tell you all you need to know about the key mobile operating systems on the market from all the big brands.
Top smartphone brands
What's the difference between an Apple iPhone and a Samsung Android phone? What does a HTC phone do that a BlackBerry won't? We have all the answers and more!
Buying a new smartphone? Don't know what to look for? Our buying advice will help you every step of the way.
Want to know how to get the best out of your smartphone? Our detailed tutorials will help you become an expert in no time.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- FTTechnical LeadWA
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCUX/UI Designer DeveloperWA
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSolution Architect - IntegrationSA
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW