iOS, 3G, Wi-Fi, touch screen, Android, megapixels, Windows Phone. You've no doubt heard of these terms before but you would be forgiven for thinking we were talking about computers rather than mobile phones.
Today's mobile phones, often referred to as smartphones, do much more than just make phone calls and send text messages. They act as digital cameras and are often capable of taking photos comparable to a cheap, dedicated point and shoot digital camera. They record high definition video clips. They connect to the Internet, allowing you to browse and surf the Web in the palm of your hand. They can give you GPS directions, including telling you exactly how to get from one location to another. They access hundreds and thousands of mobile apps including popular services like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. They enable you to access your e-mail on the go.
With so much technology packed into a small device, buying a smartphone can be an awfully confusing process. Why is one phone better than another? What's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone? Should you care? We aim to answer all of these questions and more in a bid to give you the best possible buying advice.
What is an OS
What is an OS and why should you care? We tell you all you need to know about the key mobile operating systems on the market from all the big brands.
Top smartphone brands
What's the difference between an Apple iPhone and a Samsung Android phone? What does a HTC phone do that a BlackBerry won't? We have all the answers and more!
Buying a new smartphone? Don't know what to look for? Our buying advice will help you every step of the way.
Want to know how to get the best out of your smartphone? Our detailed tutorials will help you become an expert in no time.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox changed passwords after 68M accounts were compromised
- 16 TV buying tips that salespeople won’t tell you about
- Okta's API access product targets the trend toward services
- Say hello to old friend Dell Technologies on Sept. 7
- DARPA sees IoT and AI as weapons to dominate wars
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCProject Manager - open source softwareACT
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTDesign and Engineering - Technical WriterWA
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP IS Retail Functional LeadVIC
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager XPLANNSW