Looking at historical trends and performance benchmarks, a team of researchers in Spain have concluded that smartphone chips could one day replace the more expensive and power-hungry x86 processors used in most of the world's top supercomputers.
Advanced Micro Devices hopes to regain share in the PC processor market with its upcoming chips based on the Jaguar core, which will bring console-like gaming and wireless displays to laptops with Windows 8 and its successor, Windows Blue.
Advanced Micro Devices has opened the door to embrace Google's Android operating system, but said it would continue to focus on Windows with its upcoming tablet and laptop chips.
Armed with a contract to build chips for Sony's PlayStation 4 gaming console, Advanced Micro Devices has now officially established a custom-chip business unit in an effort to break away from its heavy reliance on the slumping PC market.
Programming for multicore systems can be complex, so an industry consortium led by Advanced Micro Devices has taken a step ahead in its goal to eliminate development challenges so applications are portable across devices, architectures and operating ...
Some of the biggest names in IT including IBM, Microsoft, Google and Intel reported quarterly earnings this week, revealing a picture of the tech sector that, while not as gloomy as had been feared, is nevertheless mixed.
Advanced Micro Devices reported a 31 percent drop in revenue for the first quarter as it continues to battle a weak PC market and lackluster demand for its chips.
Just as tech stocks were starting to rise this week, dismal PC sales reports for the first quarter burst the very short-lived bubble, causing shares of IT companies to fall back to earth Thursday.
As demand for PC processors plummets, Advanced Micro Devices has borrowed technologies from mobile devices and gaming consoles as a way to perk up sales for its latest A-series laptop processors.
Advanced Micro Devices hopes to take on Intel's ultrabooks with a new keyboard docking technology that modifies the level of performance of thin-and-light hybrid devices when used in tablet or laptop modes.
With a tough 2012 behind it, Advanced Micro Devices hopes to return to profitability this year through cost-cutting, new chips and other measures, the company's top executives said Tuesday.
Advanced Micro Devices' financial struggles continued in the fourth quarter, with revenue sinking 32 percent due to slow chip sales and charges tied to restructuring and inventory adjustments.
Facebook has proposed a new model for designing servers that it says will give businesses more choice in selecting components and a smarter way to upgrade systems when needs change, though it remains to be seen how widely its method will be adopted.
Facebook's Open Compute Project is being expanded to incorporate ARM processors, providing new options for companies shopping for low-cost hardware to build out cloud computing environments.
Advanced Micro Devices has been granted by a court in Massachusetts a temporary restraining order against four former employees, three of whom are alleged to have left the company to join Nvidia with confidential documents and trade secrets.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Google Fiber puts expansion plans on hold to review strategy
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- Civilization VI review: Learning from some (but not all) of history's mistakes
- Dyn attack: US Senator wants to know why IoT security is so anemic
- Apple's Q4 2016 results: Better than expected with 45.5 million iPhones sold, but revenue continues to slide
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTLead Frontend DeveloperNSW
- FTChief Enterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTWeb Business AnalystQLD
- FTBizTalk Developer X3VIC
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT roleNSW
- FTBI Analyst - Data and FraudNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer- Linux and DevOpsNSW
- FTTechnical Services EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer - NetApp, Exchange, ADNSW
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Margin ProjectsNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCFunctional Consultant - MS Dynamics AXQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantACT
- CCHuman Sciences Professional - DefenceNSW
- FTFront End Web DeveloperVIC
- FT.Net CRM Dynamics Developer LeadVIC
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportQLD