Google is paying a premium for Motorola Mobility, the recently spun-off device maker from Motorola proper. But for the $12.5 billion it's paying, Google likely is more interested in Motorola's patents than its phones.
Google's $12.5 billion purchase of Motorola Mobility will land it a vast portfolio of patents, but the legal obstacles facing its Android operating system are far from over, legal experts said.
Google continues to argue that a damning e-mail in its battle with Oracle shouldn't be shown to jurors because it was confidential and intended to be privileged communication with an attorney.
Google's planned acquisition of Motorola Mobility will force the search giant into a whole new set of relationships with mobile operators, which could benefit the carriers but also create tension.
Google has agreed to acquire Motorola Mobility to "supercharge the Android ecosystem" and protect Android against aggressive patent litigation from competitors such as Apple and Microsoft, according to company CEO Larry Page.
With most acquisitions, there are winners and losers. Google's buy of Motorola is no different, but in this case, neither of those companies comes out a winner, analysts say. "
Between my Android tablet and my Android phone, I've been creating a lot more content on the go than I may ever have expected to. Between pictures and notes captured on my Thunderbolt, and the occasional article hammered out on my Iconia, There's pre...
As you're reading this article, developers, engineers, and product designers are working on the next great mobile technology. The mobile world is rapidly changing: Smartphones have gone from portable messaging and email devices to streaming-video mac...
Pop quiz: Can you name every smartphone platform that's more popular than Windows Phone 7? Go on. We dare you.
Mobile phone sales floundered during the second quarter, in the wake of the earthquake in Japan. But smartphone sales continued to grow, as Android extended its lead in the operating system race, according to market research company Gartner.
HTC has invested in Beats Electronics, a U.S. headphones company rap artist Dr. Dre helped found, as part of a move to improve the audio on the Taiwanese smartphone maker's devices.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission, which began an antitrust investigation into Google a month-and-a-half ago, is looking specifically at Google's relationship with Android handset makers and at whether Google favors its own services in search results...
HTC faces even more pressure from Apple, now that the U.S. International Trade Commission has agreed to investigate another patent-infringement complaint against the Android phone maker.
Lenovo will launch a new tablet and smartphone during the third quarter in the Le series which has so far been launched only in China, according to a company spokesperson.
Career criminal Willie Sutton was often quoted saying that he robbed banks "because that's where the money is." The legend sounds good, but Sutton actually said in his biography, "Go where the money is...and go there often."
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160615/ITA/922Asia
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- FTPractice Lead - InsuranceNSW
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- CCTelecommunications Operations Support officerACT
- CCSoftware & Hardware Asset Management - 2 rolesNSW
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW