Intel has ported Google's Android mobile operating system to smartphones based on its Atom microprocessors, an Intel executive said Tuesday.
Intel is going after the tablet market for its low-power processors, including an upcoming Atom processor designed for mobile phones, the company said.
Chip designer Arm this week showed its first processor made using the advanced 28-nanometer manufacturing process, which should improve battery life and functionality in future smartphones.
The SIM cards in cellular telephones might be smaller than a postage stamp and less than a millimeter thick but that hasn't stopped South Korea's SK Telecom from cramming all the major components needed to run Google's Android OS inside one of them.
Nvidia launched its next-generation Tegra processor for low-cost laptops and tablets on Thursday, which could intensify competition with rival Intel in the chip market.
Processor makers ARM and MIPS Technologies are both aiming to simplify and accelerate the use of netbooks, MIDs (mobile Internet devices), set-top boxes and picture frames that run on Google's Android software platform.
Reports that the Linux netbook is dead or dying are incorrect, at least globally, according to an analyst firm.
Arm Holdings has introduced a processor for smartphones and other devices that it says will be cheaper, and more powerful and energy-efficient than the two ARM processors it will supplant. The company expects that the new chip will also help it ward ...
Arm Holdings is positioning its chips as the main processors in the low-end laptop market, but does not expect these chips to account for a significant part of its revenue, an executive said on Friday.
After comfortably residing for years in mobile devices like cell phones, chips based on the Arm design are finding their way into commercial laptops.
Arm Holdings on Wednesday raised the clock speed of its Cortex A9 processor to 2GHz, with the aim of boosting application performance while drawing less power.
Sharp Electronics this week introduced a netbook-like mobile device with a 5-inch touch screen that is designed to run Internet-based applications.
Dell is developing a handheld mobile device designed for Internet access, following in the footsteps of rival Apple, according to a news report published in the Wall Street Journal on Monday.
Intel and handset maker Nokia are teaming to develop new mobile computing device and chipset architectures, the companies said Tuesday.
Nvidia hopes to develop chips that enable applications such as image recognition and video search on mobile devices like smartphones and low-cost laptops, CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said on Tuesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New Microsoft beta lets workers build their own apps without coding
- Intel is on the verge of exiting the smartphone and tablet markets after cutting Atom chips
- 5 (more) reasons to be a data scientist
- FCC wireless auction hits spectrum target, paving way for fast, reliable 5G
- IBM offers advice on how to secure blockchain in the cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Change Manager - Capital MarketsNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCIT Network SpecialistVIC
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT