Cable operators Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications have joined forces and formed WifiForward, an organization that will work to protect existing unlicensed frequencies and get lawmakers to free up more spectrum.
This year's Mobile World Congress will see an LTE that's more mature than ever, with higher speeds, more device selection and more chip suppliers adding to the range of options for the fast mobile technology.
Technology stocks are up for the year as shares of many vendors are back to pre-recession levels, but recent company results and market research reports have been mixed, calling into question how some vendors will fare next year.
At a wine bar in San Francisco on Wednesday, Broadcom Chairman and CTO Henry Samueli delivered some sobering news: Moore's Law isn't making chips cheaper anymore.
Vendors are working on products to lower the cost of building copper-based broadband with bandwidth up to 100M bps, and are at the same time getting ready to increase speeds even further.
Communications chip maker Broadcom is cutting approximately 1,150 jobs, nearly one-tenth of its workforce, as part of a global restructuring.
Chip makers like Broadcom and Renesas Electronics are ramping up in-car entertainment with faster processors and networks for wireless HD movies and navigation, aiming to keep drivers informed and passengers entertained.
Broadcom's latest line of wireless chipsets for cars can keep the kids quiet in the back seat, while allowing mom and dad to make calls in the front.
In Star Wars terms, the small cells that mobile carriers and vendors will be talking up this week at Mobile World Congress are more like the odd-couple androids R2-D2 and C-3PO than like their foes, the Empire's phalanxes of identical storm troopers.
Broadcom says it's invented a chip that can tell your phone where you are all the time without quickly draining your battery.
Security researchers from Croatia-based security firm DefenseCode claim to have found a critical remote code execution vulnerability in the UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) implementation developed by Broadcom and used by many routers with Broadcom chi...
Vendors developing gear with G.hn, a home networking standard that can work with four different types of wires, say Asia is shaping up as a land of opportunity.
As TV makers show off UltraHD TVs at CES, communications chip maker Broadcom is introducing the guts of future gateways that will be able to bring video for those sets into viewers' homes.
Broadcom thinks it can make NFC a common smartphone feature by offering it in a chip with other wireless technologies, even if making payments with the technology doesn't catch on for years.
The console and the handheld GamePad in Nintendo's hot-selling Wii U form a special bond, thanks to proprietary smarts that Nintendo and Broadcom developed to drive high Wi-Fi performance.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProduct Solution DesignerVIC
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160617/AP/623Asia
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160615/ITA/922Asia
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- FTSolution Architect - Data/ InformationVIC
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsNSW
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCWAN Contract ManagerACT
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTAppian Developer/ArchitectVIC
- CCMulesoft Integration DeveloperWA