To commemorate the 20th anniversary of Netscape Navigator's release this week, let's take a look back at the rise and demise of the browser that introduced many to the World Wide Web.
browsers in pictures
Firefox's new support for HTML5's Web audio feature steals the show
Acquisitions, culture change have kept Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer busy
Okay, say you have this shiny new car. It looks great, it performs like a demon, it features all the latest safety gadgets, and it's crawling with creature comforts. Just one problem, though. The local tinkerer, clearly consumed by jealousy, comes by sometime during the night to disassemble the entire thing.
An estimated 33 million users deserted Microsoft's browsers last month, pushing the company's browser strategy closer to the edge of irrelevancy.
Opera Software yesterday released a free VPN app for Apple's iOS.
Company argues the move will create a faster browser, something most customers want.
After blasting Microsoft's attempts to set Edge as the default browser in Windows 10, Mozilla is enjoying some sweet revenge by steering Firefox users away from Bing.
In case you needed another reason to uninstall Adobe Flash, we've got one: It can drag down your PC by as much as 80 percent. Yes, 80 percent. So not only is Adobe Flash incredibly unsafe, it's a memory hog. And we've got the numbers to prove it.
Microsoft's Internet Explorer 9 officially launched late Monday and is ready for download here.
Read on if you've ever been frustrated by slow performance in Firefox.
Apple's new Safari extension gallery looks a lot like the iOS App Store, populated with colorful icons that hold strange and wonderful things. In case browsing the 100 extensions Apple offers for Safari 5.01 is too much effort, here are eight good on...
Firefox 3.6.6 with crash protection is now available, and according to Mozilla it "provides uninterrupted browsing for Windows and Linux users when there is a crash in the Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins.
When Tim Berners-Lee invented the first Web browser in 1990, it was just an application made to read HTML pages passively. Fast-forward to today, and the modern Web browser has become a powerful platform in itself—almost a miniature operating system,...
One of the best ways to see what's changed with the ninth and newest version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer is to tune into beautyoftheweb.com and watch the words, images, and DIVs bounce around, luring the world into pretty images and information...
Google's patching of vulnerabilities in its open source Chrome Web browser last week wasn't so much notable in itself; Microsoft, to be sure, is forever issuing patches for the many bugs that afflict its products.
After four platform previews aimed at demonstrating the power of the underlying Internet Explorer 9 engine to developers, Microsoft is ready to unveil a public beta of the on September 15. Many organizations are still struggling with the decision to ...
If you're a regular PCWorld reader, you may have noticed the Browser Blowout story we posted last week. In it, I looked at various aspects of the major Web browsers, including features, interface, security, and performance.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Open source 25-core chip can be stringed into a 200,000-core computer
- MIT is dragging hard-wired network chips into the agile era
- Inside AMD's development of the Zen CPU
- Ashley Madison misled users with a fake security award
- Epic Games forum hack underscores the need to install security patches
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- FTSAP Ariba Consultant/ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Digital BA (iOS / Android)NSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCSenior Advisor, Web and Social Media Channels- SEO & AnalyticsNSW
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW