Any deal by IBM to sell parts of its server business to Lenovo is likely to focus on low-end commodity x86 hardware, not higher-end x86 systems such as IBM's PureSystems and iDataPlex servers, an industry analyst said Thursday.
IBM is in "advanced discussions" with Lenovo over a possible deal for it to purchase IBM's x86 server business, according to two news reports.
Unable to close a number of large mainframe and software deals by the end of the quarter, IBM has reported a 5 percent decline in revenue to US$23.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013.
Microsoft increased revenue across all its divisions in its third fiscal quarter, achieving an almost 20 percent revenue increase year on year.
Advanced Micro Devices reported a 31 percent drop in revenue for the first quarter as it continues to battle a weak PC market and lackluster demand for its chips.
Verizon Communications reported an increase in revenue and a double-digit spike in net income for the first quarter of 2013, compared to a year earlier, driven largely by gains in mobile customers and in revenue from its Fios service.
Google received an ultimatum Thursday from German consumer organizations that want it to start answering questions from its users via email.
Nokia's sales of smartphones running Windows Phone continued to grow in the first quarter, and its net loss shrank year on year, even as overall revenue declined.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) reported that its first quarter net profit was up 18 percent year-over-year, as its revenue for the period exceeded its projections.
Intel has purchased Mashery, a provider or API management tools, in the chip maker's latest move to expand into software and services.
Samsung has delayed the Galaxy S4 smartphone released date for European markets.
India's Tata Consultancy Services reported strong first quarter revenue and profit growth, despite indications that the outsourcing market is still uncertain.
Just a month away from retirement, Intel CEO Paul Otellini has reflected on his four decades with the company during his last quarterly earnings call with analysts and reporters.
Intel reported a drop in profits and revenue for the first quarter, as the biggest PC market slump in recent memory weighed on its business.
As part of the review process of potential offers to take Dell private, the company announced that its board of directors approved an agreement with Carl Icahn that would cap the amount of shares owned by the activist investor.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Qatar National Bank claims customer data released by hackers is authentic
- Optus offers unlimited data for new home broadband bundles
- New Microsoft beta lets workers build their own apps without coding
- Intel is on the verge of exiting the smartphone and tablet markets after cutting Atom chips
- 5 (more) reasons to be a data scientist
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTGraduate IT Administration SupportVIC
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW