Any deal by IBM to sell parts of its server business to Lenovo is likely to focus on low-end commodity x86 hardware, not higher-end x86 systems such as IBM's PureSystems and iDataPlex servers, an industry analyst said Thursday.
IBM is in "advanced discussions" with Lenovo over a possible deal for it to purchase IBM's x86 server business, according to two news reports.
Unable to close a number of large mainframe and software deals by the end of the quarter, IBM has reported a 5 percent decline in revenue to US$23.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013.
Microsoft increased revenue across all its divisions in its third fiscal quarter, achieving an almost 20 percent revenue increase year on year.
Advanced Micro Devices reported a 31 percent drop in revenue for the first quarter as it continues to battle a weak PC market and lackluster demand for its chips.
Verizon Communications reported an increase in revenue and a double-digit spike in net income for the first quarter of 2013, compared to a year earlier, driven largely by gains in mobile customers and in revenue from its Fios service.
Google received an ultimatum Thursday from German consumer organizations that want it to start answering questions from its users via email.
Nokia's sales of smartphones running Windows Phone continued to grow in the first quarter, and its net loss shrank year on year, even as overall revenue declined.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) reported that its first quarter net profit was up 18 percent year-over-year, as its revenue for the period exceeded its projections.
Intel has purchased Mashery, a provider or API management tools, in the chip maker's latest move to expand into software and services.
Samsung has delayed the Galaxy S4 smartphone released date for European markets.
India's Tata Consultancy Services reported strong first quarter revenue and profit growth, despite indications that the outsourcing market is still uncertain.
Just a month away from retirement, Intel CEO Paul Otellini has reflected on his four decades with the company during his last quarterly earnings call with analysts and reporters.
Intel reported a drop in profits and revenue for the first quarter, as the biggest PC market slump in recent memory weighed on its business.
As part of the review process of potential offers to take Dell private, the company announced that its board of directors approved an agreement with Carl Icahn that would cap the amount of shares owned by the activist investor.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Random iPhone 6s shutdowns due to faulty battery component, Apple says
- Researchers find a way bypass the iOS activation lock
- Remote management app exposes millions of Android users to hacking
- ‘Distributed guessing’ attack lets hackers verify Visa card details
- What happens when a country cracks down on fake news? Ask China
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTNode.js/API DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Manager, Data and InformationQLD
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTProgram ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Improvement and Change ManagerQLD
- FTHead of User ResearchNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCUI DeveloperACT
- FTLead Software EngineerQLD
- FTInfrastructure Solutions EngineerVIC
- FTProject Delivery Manager | PortfolioQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementWA
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- FTIteration ManagerVIC
- TPSHAREPOINT SPECIALISTQLD
- CCNetwork Deployment SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Digital MarketNSW
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS Software EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCService Desk Quality Assurance SpecialistNSW
- TPSenior Project AnalystNSW
- FTSEM / PPC SpecialistNSW
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD