In the years to come, Microsoft's data centers may not be huge buildings tightly packed with server racks, but rather rows of small, stand-alone IT units spread across acres and acres of cool, cheap land.
It's a pretty slow business week when Xerox's $6.4 billion proposed acquisition of Affiliated Computer Services dominates the news.
The global energy bill required to transmit, process and filter spam e-mail in 2008 totaled some 33 billion kilowatt-hours (kWh), according to a new report commissioned by security software vendor McAfee and carried out by ICF International.
Microsoft has set a goal for reducing its carbon emissions and has plans to support the development of software that can help address climate change issues, the company's chief environmental strategist said.
A McAfee study estimates 62 trillion spam e-mails equal 33 billion kilowatt hours of electricity or about as much carbon as 3.1 million cars consuming 2 billion gallons of gasoline. In January, a study by Harvard University claimed two Google searche...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- U.S. indicts Russian for hacking LinkedIn, Dropbox, Formspring
- An IoT botnet is partly behind Friday's massive DDOS attack
- Bankers plan to give Corda blockchain code to Hyperledger project
- Easy-to-exploit rooting flaw puts Linux computers at risk
- Intel asserts its trademark rights against John McAfee
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 161013/JP/602Asia
- FTJava Developer - Canberra RoleNSW
- FTMobile Delivery Manager / Studio LeadNSW
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Internet/Intranet) 161019/P/615Asia
- CCNetwork AdministratorVIC
- FTKronos AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/J2EE) 161025/AP/862Asia
- CCTechnology Training ManagerNSW
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Security AnalystVIC
- CCIT Senior Systems Administrator- Server Patching RemediationNSW
- CCSystems Engineer - NetApp, Exchange, ADNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Java Developer-Java SE 8, HTTP APIs, Protocol BuffersNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTSoftware Developers - .Net 4.6NSW
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSAP FIORIACT