With new Qualcomm-based products, more funds and a U.S. expansion, free Wi-Fi aggregator Fon expects to reach 35 million hotspots by 2016.
For enterprises that don't want employees to roam using cellular networks, Telefónica has launched Universal Wi-Fi, which offers coverage in 110 countries.
French network operator Orange has acquired a minority stake in the Japanese company G-cluster Global, as it looks to accelerate its mobile gaming push.
Sprint will let friends, neighbors or any other group join up for savings on monthly bills under the Sprint Framily Plan, announced on Tuesday.
When AT&T technology and network chief John Donovan said on Monday that he felt good about the carrier's spectrum position, he had an extra reason for his optimism.
Car makers such as Audi and GM are integrating LTE wireless technology in their new models, offering customers faster access to the Internet but not much choice since they have both signed deals with AT&T.
AT&T will let media companies and other partners cover the cost of delivering some data over the carrier's mobile network, letting subscribers click on videos and other content without worrying about their monthly data caps.
French government and police officials requested 6,145 phone and data taps in 2012, fewer than in 2011, according to figures released by the French National Commission for the Control of Security Interceptions (CNCIS) earlier this week.
Japanese conglomerate SoftBank and German carrier Deutsche Telekom are close to a deal that would merge T-Mobile US with Sprint, eliminating one of the four major mobile competitors in the U.S., according to the Nikkei news agency.
Apple plans to offer the iPhone to more than 760 million China Mobile customers from January, which could help it increase its share from the fifth position in this growing market.
AT&T has joined Verizon Communications in promising to report on government requests for information about its customers, setting the stage for semiannual disclosures from both the dominant U.S. wireline carriers starting early next year.
T-Mobile USA looks set to reveal the next step in its "un-carrier" plan at January's CES in Las Vegas.
Huawei Technologies and Polish operator Exatel have tested a next-generation optical network based on WDM (Wavelength Division Multiplexing) technology and capable of 400Gbps throughput.
Verizon Communications will report on law-enforcement requests for information on its customers that it received in 2013, following similar moves that major online companies have made but rival AT&T has not.
The GSM Association, operators and vendors have published a specification that enables remote provisioning of embedded SIM identification modules, which should cut the cost of connecting cars and utility meters to the Internet.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Bankers plan to give Corda blockchain code to Hyperledger project
- Easy-to-exploit rooting flaw puts Linux computers at risk
- Intel asserts its trademark rights against John McAfee
- Big data: The obstacles we’re seeing and how to overcome them
- Privacy groups target kids advertising disguised as YouTube content
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTGateway ManagerACT
- FTSenior Commercial and Bid ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- FTProject Manager - FinanceNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/Web) 161014/SA/922Asia
- CCService Analyst (12-month contract)Asia
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (12-Month Renewable Contract)Asia
- FTSenior Architect, Markets and ProductsNSW
- CCFront End Developer - Mid LevelNSW
- FTIncident & Problem AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Java Developer-Java SE 8, HTTP APIs, Protocol BuffersNSW
- FTData Governance Project Manager | 6 month ContractNSW
- CCBuild and Release ManagerNSW
- FTAX Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTKronos AdministratorNSW
- FTJava Developer - Canberra RoleNSW
- FTDigital DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem & Network EngineerVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- FTSenior Consultant Commercial PricingVIC