A group of operators including AT&T, Boingo Wireless, BT and China Mobile have joined forces to work on a common framework for Wi-Fi roaming to make it easier for users to access hotspots while travelling abroad.
Nokia said its new Lumia 620 handset is its most affordable Windows Phone 8 smartphone yet, priced US$249 when bought without a contract.
China Mobile, the country's largest mobile carrier, will develop its own company-branded handsets, while hoping to eventually strike a deal with Apple for the iPhone.
As China continues trials of its 4G networks using the government-backed LTE TDD technology, mobile operator China Telecom is aiming to go another route and deploy LTE FDD technology for its upcoming 4G networks.
Beijing aims to create more free Wi-Fi hotspots across major public areas in the city, including shopping centers and subway stations as part of a city government effort to promote greater Internet use among residents.
China's top IT firms have pledged to step up the regulation of their services as government authorities have intensified calls to control the development of the nation's Internet.
China Mobile, the country's largest mobile operator, saw net profit in its third quarter increase by about 3.7 percent from the same period year ago, according to data published by the company Thursday.
Orange and China Telecom have signed a partnership agreement that allows users to access their respective networks, both Wi-Fi and VPN, the French operator said Wednesday.
Mobile operator, China Mobile, and telecommunications equipment supplier, ZTE, have shown off a smartphone operating on a 4G (fourth generation) LTE TDD network.
China Mobile, the world's largest mobile carrier, reported net profits rising by 6.3 percent for the first half of 2011, as the company had more customers surfing the Internet with its handsets.
Nokia plans on launching Windows Phone 7 handsets through China's largest mobile phone carrier as the handset maker tries to fend off competition from Android devices and Apple's iPhone.
Apple believes it is just "scratching the surface" of the Chinese market, as the company's revenue from the country for the quarter ended June 25 increased by more than six times from the same period last year.
Future versions of Apple's iPhone will support China Mobile's fourth generation (4G) network, China's largest mobile carrier said, a sign that it will eventually offer the iconic device to its 600 million customers.
China is on the verge of becoming the first country in the world to have more than 900 million cell phone users, according to government statistics.
China Mobile, the world's largest mobile carrier, said its customer base exceeded 600 million on Wednesday, as the company reported an increase in profits for the first quarter of 2011.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple patches vulnerable OS X Git version that put developers at risk
- To go from IT to IoT, build on your skills
- FAA setting up advisory panel on drones led by Intel CEO
- Optus looks to lock in EPL fans with new bundles
- A Russian hacker gave away millions of email credentials for social media votes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCIBM MDM SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCSAP HR & Payroll consultant - July STARTACT
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL/J2EE) 160511/AP/522Asia
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTTechnical/Team Lead - .NetNSW
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC