Oracle has joined the industry consortium HSA Foundation, which is developing standards to make it easier for programmers to take advantage of GPUs and other processor types for faster code execution.
The new gaming consoles due for release in the coming days helped underdog Advanced Micro Devices gain x86 processor market share over Intel during the third quarter of this year.
Advanced Micro Devices aims to bring console-style graphics to PCs with its chips code-named Kaveri, which, after delays, will become available in desktops and laptops starting early next year.
Enterprise open-source software vendor Red Hat is keeping an eye on the development of 64-bit ARM processors for servers, building up expertise in case the nascent platform takes hold in the data center.
Nvidia's Tegra 4i processor, the first of its chips with integrated support for LTE cellular data, is on course to appear in products early next year, the company's CEO said Thursday.
Intel is paying serious attention to small electronics, wearable technology and the do-it-yourself crowd, establishing a new business group to address those market segments.
The equipment is big and expensive, with the research costs at almost US$500,000. But by just using retail components, Chinese professor Chi Nan has built her own Li-Fi wireless system that can use LED lights to send and receive Internet data.
A firmware update for Microsoft's Surface Pro 2 appears to have drastically improved battery life, addressing one of the beefy tablet's biggest weak points.
A project aims to bring an inexpensive 9-inch portable monitor to the popular US$25 Raspberry Pi PC, which comes without a keyboard, mouse or monitor.
Intel's Galileo open-source computer for the hacker and do-it-yourself crowd can now be ordered for $US69.90, and is scheduled to ship at the end of November.
Firefox's new support for HTML5's Web audio feature steals the show
A speedier successor to the ThinkPad Tablet 2 is being developed by Lenovo as the company tries to add more tablets to its mix of personal computing portfolio.
ARM has released designs for two new Mali GPU cores, including a 16-core part that should help bring higher-end capabilities like video-editing and gesture recognition to mobile devices.
LG is flexing its muscle in smartphone technology with a new handset that boasts a curved touchscreen, along with a special "self healing" technology that the company claims can prevent scratches on the phone's casing.
Dell will give its first public demonstration of a 64-bit ARM server this week, the latest step in an industrywide effort to build servers based on low-power chips like those used in smartphones.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCData Integration specialistACT
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / BillingNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS