Oracle's database and high-performance workloads will run faster with the company's latest SPARC M6 chip, which has been tuned specially for the company's applications.
A 110-core chip has been developed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology as it looks for power-efficient ways to boost performance in mobile devices, PCs and servers.
Intel is expected to announce availability next week of a low-power Atom server chip code-named Avoton, which is likely to appear soon in systems such as Hewlett-Packard's Moonshot.
As the trend famously codified by Intel co-founder Gordon Moore -- that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit would double every two years -- seems to be flagging, one top engineer suggests that it is time to rethink chip design to buy p...
A version of Google Glass for people who already wear glasses will arrive in a few months, the head of the Google project said Monday.
IBM for the first time revealed details on Monday of its 12-core Power8 chip, which is twice as fast as the Power7 chip used in the Watson supercomputer.
Microsoft's upcoming Xbox One gaming console will contain a custom chip the company designed in conjunction with Advanced Micro Devices with the aim of delivering maximum graphics performance, presenters said Monday at Microsoft's Hot Chips conferenc...
Intel is putting a sharp focus on expanding its custom processor and chip operations in response to a growing trend of companies building servers in-house to meet specific workloads or data center designs.
Industry consortium HSA Foundation intends to bring native support for parallel acceleration in Java virtual machines, which would make it easier to tap into multiple processors like graphics processors to speed up code execution.
Toshiba has kicked off a project that is the first step toward a new type of memory chip that could provide vastly greater capacity at a lower cost for digital gadgets such as cameras, smartphones and tablets.
The performance and battery life of smartphones and tablets may not match the numbers provided by device makers, but development is under way on a tool that could bring consistency to the measurement of those metrics.
Intel plans to become a leader in wireless and will ship its first multimode LTE processor later this month as part of that drive.
Intel, increasingly customising server chips for customers, is now tuning chips for workloads in Big Data.
The market for x86 open-source PCs is now a two-horse race, with GizmoSphere releasing schematics and design documents for hobbyists to build from scratch a Windows 8 computer based on open design.
Intel is looking to use light and lasers to shuffle data faster among servers, and is proposing a new optical interconnect, MXC, that could change the way servers are implemented in data centers.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCSenior Project OfficerACT
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Citrix EngineerNSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCGeo-spatial AdministratorVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT