The number of computers in North America infected by the Backoff malware, which is blamed for a string of payment card breaches, has risen sharply, according to research from network security company Damballa.
The number of malware samples that use P-to-P (peer-to-peer) communications has increased fivefold during the past 12 months, according to researchers from security firm Damballa.
The first three months of 2013 have seen a surge in spam volume, as well as large numbers of samples of the Koobface social networking worm and master boot record (MBR) infecting malware, according to antivirus vendor McAfee.
Security researchers from Damballa have found a new variant of the Pushdo malware that's better at hiding its malicious network traffic and is more resilient to coordinated takedown efforts.
A dangerous piece of malicious code responsible for stealing money from online bank accounts is being updated with new functions after its source code was leaked earlier this year, according to security researchers.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCTechnology DeveloperVIC
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSolution Architect - PayrollNSW
- FTProcurement SpecialistNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCWAN Contract ManagerACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- FTJava DeveloperAsia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (System Backup Operation/UNIX) 160615/AP/791Asia
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- FTProject Coordinator / AdministratorNSW
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC