A group of organizations led by The Green Grid has recommended a standard way for data centers to measure their Power Usage Effectiveness, aiming to bring consistency to the metric and make it easier for different facilities to compare their results.
Data center power consumption
The Green Grid Consortium will release two free tools in the coming months to help companies measure and improve the energy efficiency of their data centers.
Nearly three-quarters of European data centre managers are concerned about the impact that environmental regulation could have on data centres - although 60 percent of companies now have green data centre policies in place.
Intel on Thursday announced Data Center Manager software tool kit that can reduce the power drawn by servers in data centers by tapping into hardware resources.
Scotland is to host two pioneering data centres, with plans being announced to build an eco-friendly cloud centre in Inverness, and the world's largest computing facility in Lockerbie.
IT has gotten a bad rap when it comes to energy consumption. Walk into any datacenter, and you can almost feel the carbon emissions leaking into the atmosphere. However, research shows that the datacenter actually accounts for a very small percentage...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's smartphone share hit by Note7 debacle, stiff competition
- Oracle takes Java copyright dispute with Google to appeals court
- Samsung sales, profits dive on Note 7 recall
- Hands-on: Microsoft's Surface Studio is a Windows PC for the Mac crowd
- Renewable energy represented more than half of all new power capacity in '15
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- CCSenior C# .Net EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst/Systems Analyst (DW/BI)ACT
- FTSolution Architect - Application IntegrationQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantACT
- CCSiebel DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Murex DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Case Developer - GovernmentNSW
- TPAgile Coach. Business AgilityNSW
- CCSAP BPC Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Digital BA (iOS / Android)NSW
- CCSolutions Architect (Data Warehouse/Application Integration) - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCIteration Manager - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- TPProject Manager. AutomationNSW
- CCProgram ManagerACT
- FTMobile DeveloperAsia
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (Internet/ Intranet) 161025/JP/vhaAsia
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- CCSystems AdministratorQLD
- CCTechnical Test AnalystACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementACT