Say hello to Flink, the newest distributed data analysis engine on the scene.
How good are you at sizing someone up? Perhaps not as good as a computer, according to researchers at the University of Cambridge and Stanford University.
Half the money spent on advertising is wasted -- the question is, which half? That's the age-old question in adland. Now Oracle is hoping to help its customers answer that question with the acquisition of Datalogix, which collects offline consumer sp...
Skin cancer can be detected more quickly and accurately by using cognitive computing-based visual analytics, researchers at IBM Research have found, in collaboration with New York's Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Even though systems such as Hadoop and Spark can grapple with large amounts of data, their tools for analyzing and parsing this information efficiently and in real-time are still limited. A two-year old Seattle startup called SpaceCurve will release ...
The pool of online data analysis services available for corporate users is about to grow larger, with HP set to offer two of its own, key products as hosted cloud services by early next year.
Enterprise data sets have gotten so voluminous that they can't fit into even the largest data warehouses anymore, many businesses find. Now, companies running these overstuffed data stores have an on-ramp to newfangled, big-data style processing thro...
Bringing some enterprise rigor to the wild world of big data, Hewlett-Packard has issued a package that will allow organizations to harness HP's Vertica analytical database engine to investigate reams of unstructured data residing in Hadoop systems.
Software provider Platfora has extended its analysis software to work with data generated by sensors, machines and other devices that are part of the Internet of Things.
Finding new sources of oil underground is an expensive and risky undertaking. Now IBM is working with energy company Repsol to look for ways in which new cognitive computing techniques could help reduce the uncertainty and improve production.
Two of IBM's most popular analysis products, the Cognos Business Intelligence and the SPSS predictive analytics package, are headed for the Cloud, the latest in an ongoing push by IBM to port its vast software portfolio to the Cloud.
It turns out that a vital missing ingredient in the long-sought after goal of getting machines to think like humans -- artificial intelligence -- has been lots and lots of data.
In 1966, some Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers reckoned that they could develop computer vision as a summer project, perhaps even get a few smart undergrads to complete the task.
In their zeal to collect as much operational data as possible, organizations hoping to gain an advantage through the use of big data will also need to rethink how they process, analyze and present that material.
Changing databases is not a move to be taken lightly, especially when the switch is to a relatively new kind of database.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCProject Master SchedulerVIC
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCSystem AnalystACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorNSW
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCSAP Portal DeveloperVIC
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - Tier 1 Customer interfaceACT
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCMulesoft Integration DeveloperWA
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin) 160617/P/564Asia
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCIT Technical Writer- understanding in RDMBS,Web server, StorageNSW