Dell is packing new technologies like Intel's Core M chip in its Latitude 13 7000 tablet/laptop hybrid, which the company believes is a better laptop replacement than other products like Microsoft's Surface Pro 3.
Server sales have picked up after a long slow spell and are likely to stay buoyant well into 2015 and beyond, according to IDC.
Dell for the first time is using an Intel processor in its Wyse thin clients, which are used as alternatives to enterprise PCs.
Alienware is moving into the living room with the announcement of its compact Alpha PC.
Microsoft is helping hardware makers build low-priced Windows PCs to combat Chromebooks and the early results of that effort are hitting the market.
Dell is organizing the backup software products that it has acquired in the past two years into a coherent portfolio, bundling three of its storage software products into a single package to simplify licensing for the enterprise.
Expectations for the success of ARM servers are diminishing as processors and product releases get delayed, a top Dell executive said.
Server sales could spike with the expiration of extended support for Microsoft's Windows Server 2003 OS in July next year, a Dell executive said.
Microsoft leads the way, but has plenty of company on jobs cut front
Want to buy a laptop with bitcoins? Dell is now accepting the digital currency as a form of payment.
Dell's only Chromebook is at least temporarily unavailable for online purchase through the company's website, only seven months after the model started shipping.
Some top hardware companies have established a new Internet of Things consortium to create standards so that billions of devices can connect to each other.
Dell plans to expand its storage lineup with a series of midsized SAN arrays and a portfolio of software-defined storage systems, furthering two prominent industry trends.
The first software updates to improve functionality, including enterprise use, are out from Dell for its thumb-size PC, the Wyse Cloud Connect.
Chinese server vendors are making big gains in their home market, and putting pressure on U.S. rivals Hewlett-Packard and IBM in the "hyperscale" segment, according to research firm IDC. Dell, though, remains the country's number one server vendor.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- CCPSCD/ CRM Business/Financial AnalystsACT
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerACT
- FTBusiness Development ManagerQLD
- FTTraining & Implementation Manager, PlatformNSW
- CCPMO Lead/ ManagerACT
- FTSenior Python DeveloperVIC
- CCSiebel Developers x 8ACT
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCUnix Developers - multipleACT
- FTSenior Architect, Financial MarketsNSW
- CCProcess Project Manager X 2VIC
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- FTPaid Search SpecialistNSW
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCGuidewire ArchitectNSW
- TPiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FTOperations Support Analyst (Business Process Improvement) Perm North SydneyNSW
- CCLotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure ConsultantQLD
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)QLD
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW