Acer's upcoming CEO has abruptly resigned from the troubled PC maker, in a surprise move that will result in founder Stan Shih temporarily taking over leadership.
Best known for its low-cost laptops, Acer doesn't really inspire thoughts of premium products. But building high-end hardware could be the Taiwanese vendor's best shot as it looks for a way to rescue its struggling business.
Acer CEO J.T. Wang is resigning from his post at the Taiwanese PC maker and will be replaced by president Jim Wong as part of a corporate restructuring that will try to revitalize the company's sagging fortunes.
Taiwan is demanding Apple revise its mapping software and remove a label that describes the island as a province of China, rather than as a sovereign state.
Apple has introduced new versions of the MacBook Pro laptops and cut prices, but not before taking a jab at PC makers.
After years of rumors, LG Electronics may soon announce a number of Chrome OS devices. The Korea-based company recently snapped up several U.S. trademarks with the term "Chrome" in them including ChromeOne, ChromeDesk, and ChromeStation.
Intel has delayed production of its "Broadwell" processors due to a manufacturing glitch, something analysts say could postpone the launch of PCs and tablets based on the new chip.
Apple is hiring Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts to lead its retail business, choosing someone from a fashion brand rather than from a consumer electronics retail chain.
It doesn't take much to please Hewlett-Packard's investors these days. HP has confirmed that its revenue will decline slightly next year, but the mention of "pockets of growth" sent hearts aflutter.
The PC market remained weak in the third quarter, but the expiration of Microsoft's support for Windows XP in April next year may have prompted users to look at upgrades, which eased the slump.
SK Hynix will increase DRAM production at its headquarters, the company said Friday, following a price spike in memory chips after a fire at a company factory in China.
A smart watch from Samsung Electronics, an Acer smartphone that can shoot 4K video and a Sony one with a 20-megapixel sensor, plus a plethora of tablets and TVs are all expected at this year's IFA consumer electronics show.
Dell reported a 72 per cent drop in profit, a month before an expected shareholder vote that could shape the future of the company.
China will soon roll out a plan to stimulate sales of IT products, which could help revive PC shipments in the nation, and further stimulate purchases of smartphones.
Taiwanese PC maker Acer reported a net loss in the second quarter, attributing it to the company's growing investment in product design and the recent rise in DRAM prices.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/Oracle) 160617/AP/025Asia
- CCSystem AnalystACT
- CCSystems Engineer / Applications Scripting DeveloperSA
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCUrgent requirement for a Splunk SMEVIC
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCTibco DeveloperWA
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- CCSAP Business Analyst - FinanceNSW
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC