Acer's upcoming CEO has abruptly resigned from the troubled PC maker, in a surprise move that will result in founder Stan Shih temporarily taking over leadership.
Best known for its low-cost laptops, Acer doesn't really inspire thoughts of premium products. But building high-end hardware could be the Taiwanese vendor's best shot as it looks for a way to rescue its struggling business.
Acer CEO J.T. Wang is resigning from his post at the Taiwanese PC maker and will be replaced by president Jim Wong as part of a corporate restructuring that will try to revitalize the company's sagging fortunes.
Taiwan is demanding Apple revise its mapping software and remove a label that describes the island as a province of China, rather than as a sovereign state.
Apple has introduced new versions of the MacBook Pro laptops and cut prices, but not before taking a jab at PC makers.
After years of rumors, LG Electronics may soon announce a number of Chrome OS devices. The Korea-based company recently snapped up several U.S. trademarks with the term "Chrome" in them including ChromeOne, ChromeDesk, and ChromeStation.
Intel has delayed production of its "Broadwell" processors due to a manufacturing glitch, something analysts say could postpone the launch of PCs and tablets based on the new chip.
Apple is hiring Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts to lead its retail business, choosing someone from a fashion brand rather than from a consumer electronics retail chain.
It doesn't take much to please Hewlett-Packard's investors these days. HP has confirmed that its revenue will decline slightly next year, but the mention of "pockets of growth" sent hearts aflutter.
The PC market remained weak in the third quarter, but the expiration of Microsoft's support for Windows XP in April next year may have prompted users to look at upgrades, which eased the slump.
SK Hynix will increase DRAM production at its headquarters, the company said Friday, following a price spike in memory chips after a fire at a company factory in China.
A smart watch from Samsung Electronics, an Acer smartphone that can shoot 4K video and a Sony one with a 20-megapixel sensor, plus a plethora of tablets and TVs are all expected at this year's IFA consumer electronics show.
Dell reported a 72 per cent drop in profit, a month before an expected shareholder vote that could shape the future of the company.
China will soon roll out a plan to stimulate sales of IT products, which could help revive PC shipments in the nation, and further stimulate purchases of smartphones.
Taiwanese PC maker Acer reported a net loss in the second quarter, attributing it to the company's growing investment in product design and the recent rise in DRAM prices.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Oracle patches raft of vulnerabilities in business applications
- Microsoft's Cortana is headed to the Android lock screen
- Microsoft buys Simplygon to simplify rendering VR and AR models
- Gabe Newell's Reddit Q&A: The most interesting answers on Half-Life 3, Steam support, and more
- Toshiba considers spinning off its memory business
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCVirtualization ArchitectACT
- FTNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- FTLevel 2 Help Desk SupportQLD
- FTTest Analyst - HealthcareVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerACT
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCBusiness/Process AnalystQLD
- CCBiztalk DeveloperQLD
- CCDevops EngineerVIC
- FTITCM EngineerNSW
- CCeLearning Support Officer - Moodle/Google appsACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Financial Planning - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCProcess Business Analyst X 3VIC
- CCFIS Connex Developer (Brisbane Based)SA
- CCMultiple Infrastructure ArchitectsWA
- TPFinancial Project management - Multiple grant programsNSW
- CCOracle R12 Functional ConsultantSA
- CCLead DevOps Architect l AWS- Cloud- Linux- Puppet Ansible- JIRA-DatadogNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW