Apple iPad users will soon be able to interact with Citrix Systems' virtual Windows apps using a mouse.
Amazon Web Services has made its WorkSpaces virtual desktops less annoying to use with a feature that resumes the previous session after it detects an interruption.
VMware's VMware Horizon desktop virtualization software suite will soon deliver virtual Linux desktops over a network, in addition to the Microsoft Windows desktops it has long provided for remote workers.
When Windows 8 was first previewed to developers during Microsoft's first preview event for that operating system in September 2011, one of the system's most indispensable sources of functionality was said to be the cloud -- specifically, the cloud s...
Citrix Systems is working on a mouse to simplify the use of remote Windows apps on Apple's tablets and smartphones.
VMware is offering a new product, Horizon Flex, that lets IT departments run containerised and secured virtual desktops locally on PC or Mac laptops and desktops.
Amazon Web Services now lets enterprises use two-factor authentication to better protect hosted WorkSpaces virtual desktops.
Citrix Systems wants to manage desktops and mobile devices with the latest version of XenMobile, and is also working on making it easier for XenApp users to upgrade.
VMware is leaning on AirWatch to let users access files from one place using virtual and physical clients and let admins manage desktops in the same way they handle mobile devices.
VMware is about to release a new version of its Horizon VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure) software that will allow administrators to manage VDI and non-VDI deployments in a unified manner, by using multiple VMware technologies.
Amazon Web Services' hosted virtual desktops have become generally available, priced from US$35, but the company and its competitors have a lot of hurdles to overcome before this sort of technology is widely used by businesses.
Cisco Systems plans to invest over US$1 billion to expand its cloud business over the next two years, including building an OpenStack-based "network of clouds" with partners.
Thin-client company IGEL Technology can turn a laptop into a thin client with the latest version of its Universal Desktop Converter software.
VMware will offer virtual desktop services for Google's Chromebooks, allowing them to run Windows applications on the pared-down laptops based on the Chrome OS.
Dell has started shipping the Android-based Wyse Cloud Connect, a US$129 device that is slightly larger than a USB stick and can be used by consumers to watch movies in HD or by enterprises as a virtual desktop client.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Shared malware code links SWIFT-related breaches at banks and North Korean hackers
- Senate proposal to require encryption workarounds may be dead
- Acer's Windows 10 Switch hybrids priced to battle Chromebooks
- Seagate 8TB NAS drive: Review
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCIT Change CoordinatorNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- FTInformatica Powercenter SpecialistNSW
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, AdviceNSW
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCTest Analyst / Test LeadNSW
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW