VMware has reached a deal to acquire mobile management specialist AirWatch for US$1.54 billion, as it aims let users manage desktops, mobile devices and applications using its products.
Citrix Systems has acquired Framehawk for an undisclosed sum, and will use the company's technology to improve the performance of virtual desktops and applications over wireless networks.
With the launch of a new hosted virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) service called WorkSpaces, Amazon Web Services (AWS) is hoping to convert more enterprises to virtual work environments, something other IT companies have enjoyed only modest succes...
VMware is hoping to persuade more enterprises to make the leap to virtual desktops by improving graphics capabilities and allowing them to circumvent Microsoft's licensing terms.
ThinApp users have scored a victory as VMware has decided to keep offering it as a separate product and said a new version will arrive soon.
VMware continues to push its plan to virtualize the whole data center, with the general availability of its network virtualization platform, and desktops too with the acquisition of desktop-as-a service company Desktone.
Teradici has updated the PCoIP Hardware Accelerator with caching and better GPU support to improve the performance of virtual desktop installations based on VMware's Horizon View platform.
The latest version of Citrix Systems' XenClient offers better integration with its other desktop virtualization offerings and more user personalization, as the vendor hopes to make the bare-metal hypervisor more popular among road warriors.
Citrix has released new software to help users of its NetScaler Application Delivery Controller (ADC) more easily troubleshoot application performance problems in complex network and data center environments.
Anticipating the greater use of personal consumer electronics in the workplace, VMware has bundled three of its IT management products into a single suite designed to help administrators deliver worker data, applications and desktops to myriad end-us...
Teradici has been forced to delay the release of Arch, which combines VMware and Microsoft server-based desktops using its PCoIP protocol, due to a scalability issue. But a new tech preview will still allow enterprises to familiarize themselves with ...
Users of Cisco's virtual desktop system will soon be able to engage in voice and video communications with their colleagues using the Jabber instant messaging tool.
Bromium has upgraded its security platform vSentry, which uses virtualization to isolate malicious code, to protect virtual desktops and old Windows XP PCs.
Teradici has upgraded the firmware for PC-over-IP-based zero clients to provide smoother authentication, improved USB performance and support for Internet Protocol version 6, the company said on Monday.
VMware is launching the Rapid Desktop Program, which allows OEMs to build pre-configured appliances for desktop virtualization, making it easier for enterprises to start using the technology, the company said at VMworld in Copenhagen.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTJunior Data Centre Support Technician - Sydney CBDACT
- CCSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsVIC
- CCSME Senior Financial Planner - MelbourneNSW
- CCSolution Architect-PHPNSW
- FTHealth Software Support Consultant - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- TPFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- FTHead of User ResearchNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSystem EngineerNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTCitrix AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Specialist - TelcoQLD
- FTDesktop Support Team LeaderQLD
- FTSenior Financial Planner - GeelongVIC
- PTProject ManagersACT
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)SA
- CCSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTOracle IDM R1/R2 Implementation SpecialistNSW
- CCInfrastructure Architect - CloudVIC
- FTUX/UI DesignerWA
- FTPractice AdvisorACT
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- FT2 x Firewall Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCApplication Support Lead/ ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT