SanDisk is kicking off the new year with two new solid-state disk drives (SSDs) that should bring performance boosts for PC users.
Samsung Electronics has acquired Nvelo, a Silicon Valley vendor of products for caching data on flash-based SSDs (solid-state disks).
EMC plans to sell flash storage for use across data centers and is developing software to tie all those components together.
Intel on Monday announced SSD DC S3700 solid-state drives with up to 800GB of capacity, designed to deliver improved performance and power efficiency.
Intel on Monday announced its latest SSD 335 solid-state drive, which is being pitched as a hard-drive replacement for laptops.
Seagate Technology said Tuesday it has completed the acquisition of the hard disk drive (HDD) business of Samsung Electronics, after it recently received approval for the deal in Australia, China, and the European Commission.
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (Hitachi GST) said Monday it began shipments of its first 4TB, 3.5-inch hard drive, targeted at the PC market, three months after rival Seagate launched its own version.
Hard-drive maker Western Digital has resumed the partial production of hard drives in Thailand, but also warned that some of its operations were still under water from the severe floods that hit the country starting late July.
The early brunt of a hard-drive shortage resulting from widespread flooding in Thailand is falling on small PC makers, who are raising computer prices to stem losses.
The devastating floods in Thailand will cause a 28 percent quarter-on-quarter drop in hard disk drive (HDD) production in the fourth quarter, potentially affecting notebook production in early 2012, research firm IHS iSuppli said on Monday.
The European Commission approved on Wednesday the acquisition by Seagate Technology of the hard disk drive (HDD) business of Samsung Electronics, after concluding that there will still be enough players in the market after the acquisition.
Western Digital said its primary manufacturing facility in Thailand was flooded over the weekend, with its secondary site also at risk, raising the possibility of a global shortage of hard disk drives (HDD) in the current quarter.
Severe floods in Thailand have disrupted production of electronics including hard disk drives and semiconductors, with a number of factories suspending operations.
The production of hard disks at Western Digital (WD) facilities close to Bangkok, Thailand, has been halted following severe flooding, the company said on Wednesday.
After reading The Best of Both Worlds: An SSD and a HDD, George McCluney asked if it's possible to combine both drives on a laptop.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- FCC chairman to announce plans to repeal net neutrality
- Webroot deletes Windows files and causes serious problems for users
- Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update review: The future is increasingly uncertain
- Finsix Dart-C charger review: Tiny, powerful, and worth the expense
- Oracle plans ‘startup organization’ focused on cloud computing, AI and VR
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProcurement AdvisorQLD
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Oracle CC&BVIC
- CCTraining Lead - TelcoVIC
- CCBusiness Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- CCBusiness Specialist - Data ManagementNSW
- TPIntergration SpecialistQLD
- FTSales/Account Manager - Education SectorNSW
- FTSecurity AnalystACT
- CCIXD/Interaction DesignerVIC
- FTDrupal Web DeveloperACT
- CCPlatform Engineer - DevOpsVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- TPSenior .NET Developer (Angular or React)NSW
- FTPMO - Master SchedulerVIC
- FTSystems Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTContracts & Procurement Support OfficerACT
- CCTechnical Requirements Architect - NV1ACT
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTPHP Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPSAP Supply Lead - MM/LogisticsQLD
- FTSystem AnalystQLD