SanDisk is kicking off the new year with two new solid-state disk drives (SSDs) that should bring performance boosts for PC users.
Samsung Electronics has acquired Nvelo, a Silicon Valley vendor of products for caching data on flash-based SSDs (solid-state disks).
EMC plans to sell flash storage for use across data centers and is developing software to tie all those components together.
Intel on Monday announced SSD DC S3700 solid-state drives with up to 800GB of capacity, designed to deliver improved performance and power efficiency.
Intel on Monday announced its latest SSD 335 solid-state drive, which is being pitched as a hard-drive replacement for laptops.
Seagate Technology said Tuesday it has completed the acquisition of the hard disk drive (HDD) business of Samsung Electronics, after it recently received approval for the deal in Australia, China, and the European Commission.
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (Hitachi GST) said Monday it began shipments of its first 4TB, 3.5-inch hard drive, targeted at the PC market, three months after rival Seagate launched its own version.
Hard-drive maker Western Digital has resumed the partial production of hard drives in Thailand, but also warned that some of its operations were still under water from the severe floods that hit the country starting late July.
The early brunt of a hard-drive shortage resulting from widespread flooding in Thailand is falling on small PC makers, who are raising computer prices to stem losses.
The devastating floods in Thailand will cause a 28 percent quarter-on-quarter drop in hard disk drive (HDD) production in the fourth quarter, potentially affecting notebook production in early 2012, research firm IHS iSuppli said on Monday.
The European Commission approved on Wednesday the acquisition by Seagate Technology of the hard disk drive (HDD) business of Samsung Electronics, after concluding that there will still be enough players in the market after the acquisition.
Western Digital said its primary manufacturing facility in Thailand was flooded over the weekend, with its secondary site also at risk, raising the possibility of a global shortage of hard disk drives (HDD) in the current quarter.
Severe floods in Thailand have disrupted production of electronics including hard disk drives and semiconductors, with a number of factories suspending operations.
The production of hard disks at Western Digital (WD) facilities close to Bangkok, Thailand, has been halted following severe flooding, the company said on Wednesday.
After reading The Best of Both Worlds: An SSD and a HDD, George McCluney asked if it's possible to combine both drives on a laptop.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- 10 ways to get an IT Job in 2017
- Trump names net neutrality foe Ajit Pai to lead the FCC
- Samsung sees 2016 profit jump despite Note 7 debacle
- Microsoft expands FastTrack migration service
- Yahoo pushes back timing of Verizon deal after breaches
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProgram Support OfficerNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantVIC
- CCTechnical lead (Informatica MDM)Other
- CCJunior Project ManagerQLD
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- FTLead Drupal Developer - Gold CoastQLD
- CCService ManagerACT
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- PTVBA Analyst Programmer - Permanent / Part Time (3 days per week)QLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- FTAutomation TesterVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTJunior Business Process Analyst Perm North SydneyNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - CRMVIC
- TPProject Manager - EnterpriseACT
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT