Qualcomm has entered into an agreement to acquire Ikanos Communications in order to speed up its efforts to build home gateways with integrated support for G.fast, which promises to offer hundreds of megabit per second over copper.
In its push to connect as many gadgets to the Internet as possible, Intel has agreed to buy Lantiq, a German company that makes broadband access and home networking tech.
British Telecom thinks that a new technology called G.fast can increase broadband speeds over copper to hundreds of megabits per second, and will soon conduct trials to see if it's right.
A technology that lets copper telephone wires compete with fiber has finally been standardized, opening the way for affordable, interoperable equipment running at up to 1Gbps.
A power problem caused a widespread outage on AT&T's U-verse broadband service Monday that some customers said affected both TV and Internet service.
The ITU has taken a big step in the standardisation of G.fast, a broadband technology capable of achieving download speeds of up to 1Gbps over copper telephone wire.
Allegations that an ISP throttled traffic from YouTube and other Google properties at peak hours were unfounded, according to the French telecommunications regulator.
A broadband standard that aims to support bandwidth-intensive applications such as streaming Ultra-HDTV movies without the need to install fiber between the distribution point and people's homes met its first-stage approval, the International Telecom...
Alcatel-Lucent and Telekom Austria have completed the world's first trial of G.fast, new technology enabling gigabit broadband over existing copper networks.
Thanks to the higher speeds possible using a technology called vectoring, copper networks are still a viable option to cable and fiber, Deutsche Telekom says.
Internet access is as crucial to everyday life as having a phone connection and the loss of connectivity is deserving of financial compensation, the German Federal Court of Justice has ruled.
German network operator Deutsche Telekom is planning to upgrade its copper broadband network using a technology called vectoring, which will result in speeds of up to 100M bps.
DSL vendors are using a variety of methods such as bonding several copper lines, creating virtual ones and using advanced noise cancellation to increase broadband over copper to several hundred megabits per second.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New Microsoft beta lets workers build their own apps without coding
- Intel is on the verge of exiting the smartphone and tablet markets after cutting Atom chips
- 5 (more) reasons to be a data scientist
- FCC wireless auction hits spectrum target, paving way for fast, reliable 5G
- IBM offers advice on how to secure blockchain in the cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCBPM ConsultantVIC
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW