BT said it has agreed to acquire mobile operator EE in the U.K. for £12.5 billion (US$19 billion), reflecting growing consolidation in the country's mobile market.
BT Group has entered exclusive talks to buy U.K. mobile operator EE for 12.5 billion pounds (US$19.5 billion), a deal that would help the carrier offer bundles of mobile and fixed services.
U.K. consumers are likely to benefit from cheaper communications bundles as British Telecom plots its return to the mobile market and Vodafone plans to add TV and fixed broadband services
The options are increasing for people who want an LTE smartphone, but don't want to spend a fortune or sign an expensive contract. Two new alternatives that won't drain wallets are Nokia's Lumia 635 and the Huawei-made Kestrel.
The £99 (US$160) price for U.K. carrier EE's smartphone Kestrel without a contract gives a glimpse of a future with low-cost LTE devices, and is also an aggressive move by Qualcomm as competition in the chipset sector increases.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Modular cellphone kit can be used for IoT and wearables
- Now that AI has mastered 'Go,' are all our jobs next?
- Make a $40 Linux or Android PC with new Raspberry Pi 2 rival
- Researcher finds serious flaw in Chromium-based Avast SafeZone browser
- Dridex banking malware mysteriously hijacked to distribute antivirus program
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- FTManager, Portfolio GovernanceNSW
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- FTCyber Security SpecialistNSW
- CCCRM Change Lead, OrganisationalNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Oracle ProcurementSA
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCTibco DeveloperNSW
- CCWintel Engineer with Sharepoint 2010 / 2013NSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - BaselineACT
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTSystems Engineer / Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW