BT said it has agreed to acquire mobile operator EE in the U.K. for £12.5 billion (US$19 billion), reflecting growing consolidation in the country's mobile market.
BT Group has entered exclusive talks to buy U.K. mobile operator EE for 12.5 billion pounds (US$19.5 billion), a deal that would help the carrier offer bundles of mobile and fixed services.
U.K. consumers are likely to benefit from cheaper communications bundles as British Telecom plots its return to the mobile market and Vodafone plans to add TV and fixed broadband services
The options are increasing for people who want an LTE smartphone, but don't want to spend a fortune or sign an expensive contract. Two new alternatives that won't drain wallets are Nokia's Lumia 635 and the Huawei-made Kestrel.
The £99 (US$160) price for U.K. carrier EE's smartphone Kestrel without a contract gives a glimpse of a future with low-cost LTE devices, and is also an aggressive move by Qualcomm as competition in the chipset sector increases.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- NSA ends surveillance tactic that pulled in US citizens' emails, texts
- Stealthy Mac malware spies on encrypted browser traffic
- Microsoft reinstates My People for Windows 10, connecting you to your BFFs
- This overclocked EVGA GTX 1050 Ti costs less than reference models
- Google's Chrome will soon start warning you more about HTTP pages
PCW Evaluation Team
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTTIBCO Support Analyst - PERM DESKVIC
- FTFull Stack Developer - Symfony 2QLD
- FTAnalyst Programmer - Mulesoft Focus x 3NSW
- FTUI/UX DesignerSA
- FTSecurity EngineerACT
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieQLD
- TPPMO LeadNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)WA
- CCChange AnalystACT
- TPFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect (Voice/DATA/Network)SA
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- CCTechnical ConsutlantACT
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- FTProgram L&D Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTMidrange Application Developer (.Net)ACT
- FTSenior PHP Developer / ArchitectQLD