An abstract idea is not patentable simply because it is tied to a computer system, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled, potentially making it more difficult to patent some software in the future.
The U.S. Supreme Court could wipe out a whole swath of software and business-method patents if justices invalidate four electronic-trading patents, an attorney for patent-owner Alice said.
So-called patent trolls force tech companies to spend money on lawyers instead of innovation, and the U.S. Congress needs to discourage infringement lawsuits from patent-collecting companies, a group of tech and business representatives said.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- The Dropbox data breach is a warning to update passwords
- Panasonic's new 4K camcorder does better in low light
- Lenovo adds Google Daydream products to its roadmap
- Lenovo will ditch hard keyboards in planned Chromebook and 2-in-1s
- Windows 10's new beta lets computers download updates from other PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Manager - open source softwareACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- FTDesign and Engineering - Technical WriterWA
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCAutomation Test Engineer with Baseline clearance (or higher)VIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCVMWare SpecialistACT
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCTIM / TAM ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- FTBiztalk DesignerNSW