An abstract idea is not patentable simply because it is tied to a computer system, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled, potentially making it more difficult to patent some software in the future.
The U.S. Supreme Court could wipe out a whole swath of software and business-method patents if justices invalidate four electronic-trading patents, an attorney for patent-owner Alice said.
So-called patent trolls force tech companies to spend money on lawyers instead of innovation, and the U.S. Congress needs to discourage infringement lawsuits from patent-collecting companies, a group of tech and business representatives said.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Is the road to machine learning paved with API providers?
- Need data-science skills? Now your team can learn together
- Hackers of two Ukrainian utilities probably hit mining and railroad targets, too
- Qualcomm hopes a gradual approach to server market will pay dividends
- US Senate passes permanent ban on Internet access taxes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperQLD
- CCProgram Manager - Big Data - Telecommunications - UrgentNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCITIL Release Manager - CBD SYDNEYNSW
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystACT
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PEXASA
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- CCImplementation AnalystNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (CISCO/SSLVPN/Firewall) 160211/SA/551Asia
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA