An abstract idea is not patentable simply because it is tied to a computer system, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled, potentially making it more difficult to patent some software in the future.
The U.S. Supreme Court could wipe out a whole swath of software and business-method patents if justices invalidate four electronic-trading patents, an attorney for patent-owner Alice said.
So-called patent trolls force tech companies to spend money on lawyers instead of innovation, and the U.S. Congress needs to discourage infringement lawsuits from patent-collecting companies, a group of tech and business representatives said.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperSA
- FTUX Design LeadNSW
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)SA
- FTsolution ArchitectNSW
- TPLead Project ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Windows Systems Engineer- MCSE- SCOM, SCCMNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTManager - Superannuation ConsultingNSW
- CCVideo Conferencing - PABX , Cisco, Polycom and Nortel/AvaNSW
- FTDesktop Delivery Team LeaderQLD
- FTSenior Security and Risk ConsultantNSW
- FTSecurity Delivery Manager l Security, Governance, Delivery & OperationNSW
- TPBI DeveloperSA
- CCService Desk/Helpdesk ConsultantNSW
- TPSenior Software EngineerQLD
- CCProject Manager-accommodation strategy and ABW implementationNSW
- FTLevel 3 Managed Services ConsultantNSW
- CCJAVA Developer- XML, SOAP, GIS, Web services, SPRINGNSW
- TPDevelopers and TestersACT
- CCSenior Technology SpecialistACT
- CCBusiness and Reporting AnalystWA
- FTProject Delivery Manager | PortfolioQLD
- CCSenior Automation TesterNSW
- FTIT Business PartnerNSW
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW