The HTC First, also known as "the Facebook phone" thanks to its Facebook Home integration, is looking more and more like a flop.
Facebook Home's ratings may be lukewarm, but the social network interface is spreading to more smartphones. Home for Android is now available on the flagship HTC One and unofficially it works with Samsung's Galaxy S4.
It turns out that not everyone wants Facebook to be the centerpiece of their smartphone. The "Facebook-enhanced" HTC First was released little more than a month ago and already it's selling for less than a pack of gum.
In just 10 days, Facebook Home has just surpassed a half-million installations on Google Play. As a point of comparison, that's only slightly less than the population of the entire nation of Luxemburg.
A week after it debuted in the US, Facebook has launched its Home Android launcher in the Australian Google Play Store.
How much Facebook is too much Facebook?
Smartphone connoisseurs may be anticipating the upcoming release of the HTC One, but the rest of the world can't stop talking about another HTC phone due out Friday, the First.
Social network's new overlay for Android smartphones 'would be the first thing I would block on my network,' said one security adviser
Unless you're a huge Facebook fanatic, will this really be something you use every day? Time will tell.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New Microsoft beta lets workers build their own apps without coding
- Intel is on the verge of exiting the smartphone and tablet markets after cutting Atom chips
- 5 (more) reasons to be a data scientist
- FCC wireless auction hits spectrum target, paving way for fast, reliable 5G
- IBM offers advice on how to secure blockchain in the cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCProcurement Contract SpecialistQLD
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC