After an earthquake rattled the East Coast and now a hurricane is roaring toward land, it's becoming increasingly clear that social networks are a key part of our disaster response.
The U.K. government met on Thursday with technology companies for a post-mortem on the violent riots earlier this month, but made clear from the onset that it was no longer considering shutting down services in times of crisis.
Industry analysts have suspected that adding Google+ to the social networking mix would force Facebook to up its game. And it looks like that prediction is coming true.
While Facebook and Google+ may grab most of the headlines these days, social networking pioneer LinkedIn has been quietly establishing itself as the place for professionals to meet, converse and exchange information.
Despite Google+'s making a huge splash in the social networking world, rivals Facebook and Twitter continue to grow at dramatic rates.
Facebook announced Tuesday that it will be introducing a handful of privacy changes to their 750 million users. AllthingsD reports that the new privacy features will go into effect on August 25, initially to only one percent of all Facebook users.
Facebook isn't just rolling out new sharing features similar to Googe+, the company is altering its location-based check-in service, Places.
The Google +1 button just got a lot more useful -- and a lot more like Facebook's "Like" button -- by adding the ability to share +1 recommendations with other people on Google+.
Privacy advocates and security experts have given Facebook a preliminary thumbs-up on the upcoming changes designed to improve privacy controls on its site.
Facebook Tuesday announced changes to its user interface that are designed to improve user privacy and make the social network's privacy options easier to find.
Just moments after a 5.9 magnitude earthquake hit the East Coast on Tuesday afternoon, Twitter and Facebook lit up with the news.
Facebook is making a series of design changes to the site to make it clearer to users who can see the content that they post, an issue Google has been criticizing Facebook about since it launched its own social network, Google+, in June.
A German privacy protection authority is calling on organizations there to close their Facebook fan pages and remove the social networking site's "Like" button from their websites, arguing that Facebook harvests data in violation of German and Europe...
Special episodes of the popular motoring-cum-light-entertainment TV show Top Gear are to be made available to watch through Facebook in Australia and New Zealand, as well as internationally in the US, Europe and Canada.
Google+ users can now have a video-watching party on YouTube.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- India has shot down Apple's plan to sell refurbished iPhones
- South Dakota law will be a test case for a US Internet sales tax
- Quantum computers pose a huge threat to security, and the NIST wants your help
- EMC's latest VCE nodes aim to make clouds easy
- Amazon.com shows European Commission one way to eliminate geoblocking in e-commerce
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Workforce ManagementVIC
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC